Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

UV glue

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Jerry Berg

UV glue

Post by Jerry Berg »

I'm trying out some UV glue and have not used it before. I have everything finished and have left the areas open for MOP. I have the
MOP cut to shape allowing for about a 1/16" overlap which will be overlapping onto black back up. I know the glue will set when I expose
it from the front. My plan is to expose the front, then turn it around to the back and expose the back, thinking the UV will pass through
the MOP and harden the overlap that did'nt get any UV due to the back up. Am I correct on assuming this will succeed? This is on a two
tone boston gild.

Thanks, Jerry
Patrick Mackle

Post by Patrick Mackle »

Do a test of a drop of UV under some MOP and see if the light it passes straight thru the MOP, or how long it takes to sneak thru.
The glue will conduct the UV to a small degree, penetrating in from the edges, but this happens slowly as the glue tends the become a thin film.
Be aware that the esters in the glue can attack paint. I was repairing the windshield on my 1981 (early enamel based paint) F150 and the UV glue bottle leaked onto the hood and fried the paint immediately!
Pat
Jerry Berg

Post by Jerry Berg »

Everything seems to have worked just fine. No signs of paint failure either as of jet. I'm happy with results and the glue is of a nice consistancy to work with. After hearing of your truck hood I'll cross my fingers and keep a close eye. It's been drying for nearly an hour now and no signs paint being eaten up. Back up enamel is a lot tougher than paint so I'm assuming I'll be fine.
Patrick Mackle

Post by Patrick Mackle »

Jerry,
Your results sound very good. May I ask what brand and order number of UV glue were you using?
Would you say that the glue was of a syrupy viscous nature, medium or thin and watery?
How long of an exposure to your UV source before the glue was completely cured?
Thank you,
Pat
Jerry Berg

Post by Jerry Berg »

Pat,

The UV glue I have came from letterhead sign supply. They only sell one brand. The consistency is kind of like karo syrup, quite sticky yet spreadable.
I used a lettering quill to apply it. Once spread onto both the glass and the mop and put together it does not slide, so for me it will work well for on site work. Curing time on the bottle says 1 to 2 minutes, I gave it 3 minutes. When I checked it, it appeared wet but was dry. Very glossy stuff. Anyway, I like it.