Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Bob Harper

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Steven Vigeant

Bob Harper

Post by Steven Vigeant »

I just received a call from Keith Knecht that Bob Harper died yesterday. The legendary showcard writer and Sign Museum ribbon cutter was 88.
Kent Smith

Post by Kent Smith »

I got the news this morning...sure will miss talking to him. I have not been able to reach him for a few months so I was afraid he was ill again. His time in Reno and Vegas were memorable. Sure glad there is a collection of his work at the museum.

I had known him for 50 plus years. He'd often come by "on his way" wherever that was. He and Dad would swap shocard and bulletin stories which switched to me after Dad was gone. I spent many hours working with him and swapping lies in various locations.

God Speed Bob.
Steven Vigeant

Post by Steven Vigeant »

I've read many of his stories. He often seemed to judge a shop by the amount of open paint cans with skins and stir sticks sticking out. Was that a Harper peeve or was that a standard way to judge a reliable shop in his day? Was he somebody who wore spotless clothes and so on? What else might characterize his working style?
Raymond Chapman

Post by Raymond Chapman »

Bob was one special guy. "Unique" might be a better word. Our friendship was spread over many years as we discussed our times in the sign business. Of course, Bob's was a lot more colorful than mine. I'm sure that some of those stories were even true.

Bob just might be remembered for his hair as much as his showcard work. And he did love to talk to the ladies.

Rest in peace, Bob.
Ron Berlier

Post by Ron Berlier »

Only met Bob one time, I think it was in Boise. A really nice guy with a million stories to tell.

My condolences to family and friends.
Ron Berlier
Wherever I go, there I am.
Doug Bernhardt

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

I had only met Bob a few times and on the first he gave me a guided tour through his sho-card portfolio. Remarkable talent....and probably the only sign writer I know who could be recognized from his hair alone. I remember how impressed I was at seeing his work reproduced in SignCraft some (quite a few actually) years back. Am always saddened to hear of the loss of another of the "Old Tymers" and all that knowledge.