Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Gold backup and embellishment

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Robert Schwieger

Gold backup and embellishment

Post by Robert Schwieger »

As an oldtimer trying to get into the mainstream with glass gilding I have been following the site's excellent advice. It has been a real treasure and I am hoping to attend one of the workshops in the future. Recent vertical work on glass required the usual burnish gold characters and logo with drop shades. The gold has been backed up with Gilder's Black Backup plus hardener (screened), cleaned and drop shades accomplished with the same screen, slightly offset. This is very efficient and produces excellent results. My concern at this stage is the next step(s) which require the client's logo (which includes burnished gold symbols) to have a colored background. This will provide extra protection for the gold elements and I plan to use One Shot enamels plus10% hardener. Will the Gilder's Backup Black require a "cure" time before applying the One Shot? Also will any or all elements benefit from a final clear coat of Spar Varnish? I realize that the Spar may interfere with the "aesthetics" of a small inscription but one must weigh the benefits with the risks.

As usual your advice is so valuable to those of us "in the field". Thank you.

Bob
John Studden

Post by John Studden »

Bob....The back up & hardener should be dry enough in 30 mins. It can be helped along with a quick dusting of Kaolin powder. You could also use a quick sealer coat of aerosol shellac, just wipe of the excess with some denatured when everything is dry.....Try not to use any thinner in the One-Shot which may re-activate the back-up.
As far as varnishing goes I just do not do it anymore, it will be the first thing to break down, I think the back-up is strong enough on it;s own...& looks a lot neater.....Just keep those window cleaners away from the job, it only needs periodic wiping with a damp cloth........
John Studden
Valencia Signs, California