Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Patent silver leaf

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Steven Vigeant

Patent silver leaf

Post by Steven Vigeant »

Is there anything wrong with using patent silver leaf on a storefront window?

I'm working behind some thick tinted glass. How different would water-gilded white-gold
look if it was right next to patent silver? It's a large silver chandelier graphic so I figure
that more or less anything would look artistic.
Danny Baronian
Site Admin

Post by Danny Baronian »

Is there patent silver on the window now, and was it sized with oil size? If so, there would be a big difference. White gold is generally 12k, silver 10k and lower.

But the real question: is something on the window now, and is it matt or mirror?

While I've heard some say you can water gild with patent leaf, it's not something I'd recommend.

The only concerns I've heard with silver, even backed up on glass, is oxidation. I think there was a thread on the forum addressing this.

Regardless, best thing to do is try a sample on the window if you're making a comparison on site, otherwise grab a piece of glass, leaf the two side by side.

Now you not only have your answer but a sample to show the customer.

Danny
Danny Baronian
Baronian Mfg.
CNC Routing & Fabrication
http://www.baronian.com
Doug Bernhardt

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

Steven, white gold and silver are ONLY distinguishable when right next to each other. I didn't know there was such a thing as patent silver. If I ever needed it in that fashion I would just attach it to some wax paper. Noel Weber showed me that one. It does sound like it's an oil gild and if you seal up the back in the usual ways there shouldn't be any problem (with silver) although I've never seen the use for it. White gold is a much sweeter colour to look at and have always used that.