Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Great little Book for reverse glass techniques

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

DAVE SMITH

Great little Book for reverse glass techniques

Post by DAVE SMITH »

Hello
I had this little book given to me a few years back and wondered if anyone else had seen it before.
It's probabaly one of the best books for information about reverse glass techniques that I have come across. Next to Decorative Processes by Duthie
This book was probably in all the main glass embossers hands at the turn of the century. It covers acid toning of window work in great detail from birds to flowers and fancy scrolls ,incised carved backgrounds with gilded tablets. The graining section for glass is excellent as is all the book. Check some of the pages to see what it's all about. I will try at some stage over the weekend to scan the illustrations explaining the acid toning technique pages. A massive amount of the work explained in this book has survived in London and well worth seeing.
Dave
some info on glue chipping(Crystalizing)
Brian the Brush UK

Post by Brian the Brush UK »

Hi Dave,
Looks a great informative book, thanks for sharing, and all for a ' Bob ! ' ( thats another name for one shilling, the cost of the book originally, which is the equivalent of the new 5p - an explanation for folk who were born after decimalisation in the UK !!! ) :D

Brian.
www.brianthebrushuk.com
With a stroke more imagination.
Wayne Osborne

Post by Wayne Osborne »

Nice one Dave- yeah I hav'nt got that one thou I do have a couple others in that " work handbook" series- one signwork one and one Ticket writing.
Robare M. Novou

Post by Robare M. Novou »

Nice Book Dave. What is the year of Publication?

RMN
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

Hello
Robare .The date is 1908 first edition 1906 - reprinted 1908 P.n.hasluck
Dave
Billie DeBekker

Re: Great little Book for reverse glass techniques

Post by Billie DeBekker »

Was going through all the old posts and I just Lucked out bought this book for $27... Once it gets here I will scan it to PDF so we can all share.
Anthony Bennett

Post by Anthony Bennett »

Nice find on this old post william and nice find on you getting that book.
I would love to be able to read it someday.
Ron Berlier

Post by Ron Berlier »

William DeBekker wrote:Was going through all the old posts and I just Lucked out bought this book for $27... Once it gets here I will scan it to PDF so we can all share.

William, thanks for thing of the rest of who are not 'lucky' enough to find such treasures. You're effort and thoughtfulness will be greatly appreciated.
Ron Berlier
Wherever I go, there I am.
Duncan Wilkie

Post by Duncan Wilkie »

Thanks Bill, I love these old reference books.