Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Boise Workshop

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Bobbie Rochow

Boise Workshop

Post by Bobbie Rochow »

Wow! What a wonderful opportunity to learn!!! We covered screen printing, chipping, water gilding, learned how to lift glass gold with wax paper to surface gild on the glass, use of varnishes, transparent screen ink, I also have to add....a LOT of thinking backwards!

Noel & John were GREAT teachers, & so very patient with all of us. Encouraging too. Lucy is such a sweet little lady, she seemed to like us all & had a good lunch ready every day for us, & really good coffee.

We did 4 beautiful panels, I have one completed, & one maybe finished today, I will post it when I get it done.

All the people who attended were SO very nice, & each of us had different experience in different areas, so it was fun to compare our work, what we all knew & did. Even a lively steer wrestler in the bunch!

The Sushi Bar was pretty interesting to the few of us who were not into the raw fish thing. John will always be the "Prawn Guy" to me!

I am greatly inspired, more than I ever have been in my life, & I see new roads ahead for my life & my business! Thank you all, & most of all, thanks to a most beautiful person who made this possible for me. :wink:

This was certainly a life changing event in my life. I feel TOTALLY different than I did before I left, & I would highly recommend this to everyone who loves letters & glass & gold & good company!

...and Dennis! Can't forget Dennis, who ran around & called himself the "go-fer", & was so helpful, cheerful, & really neat to be around. He also had his hand in the gold & did very well. Thank you Dennis!
Susan Banasky

Post by Susan Banasky »

:D Wow, Bobbie...I couldn't have said it better....

This class was amazing and I urge any of you still sitting on the fence about attending this class, JUST DO IT. It will open your eyes to new ways of seeing things and give you the courage to try new ways.

Boise airport is close to town, the class is held within a few blocks of many reasonably priced motels and downtown is quaint and friendly. For what you receive, the class fee is very fair.

The glass pieces we worked on are incredibly beautiful....and you can even choose your own colours if you negociate with Noel. (Ha Ha, inside joke) Noel was very thorough in showing us the blending techniques. We were shown different ways to lay the gold, Noel and John have totally different ways to get the job done. Both are easy and fun.

John Studden although injured in a bad motorcycle mishap only days before the class still made the journey to teach us, he could not to let us down. He needed a bit of extra help to do some things as his bandaged arm and foot got in the way....as did his cane and motorized scooter......but he was a trooper....did not complain and was happy to show us his special tricks. Thank you John, speedy recovery to you.

Thanks to Robert from Texas, Linda and Bruce from Nevada, Tina from Florida,
Bobbie from Pennsylvania, Kim from Arizona, Bryce from Oregeon, Ron and Carol from Montana (and anyone I missed) as I learned something from everyone of you.

Hopefully we can attend another gilding class soon in Boise with these two amazing teachers.....thankyou Noel and John.
Larry White

Post by Larry White »

Ya, it's easy to find those two...they leave a trail of rouge papers where ever they go!

Sounds like you all had a great time! I should know, cause I been there!

All their workshops are the same old thing! Gilded glass, great instruction, tons of technique demonstrations, loads of encouragement and inspiration, new friends, and lots of fun...in the studio and out about town.

I was hoping to make it, so the place wouldn't be just all nice people...but I've been on an eight week tear and I was just a bit too exhausted...coulda slept in that back room. That sounds really good right about now. Things appear to be slowing slightly, which I needed. I'll try again next time. Can't wait to see some of the finished projects!

Dam Dickinson...looks like you got yourself into something bigger than you are. ...would ya quit crashing things... we need ya as the gild hand!

Aho!
One Mr. Bill Blake
Tony Segale

Post by Tony Segale »

I see Mr Morton taught you a few other things, Mr Dickinson.
You now have a crutch of your own? without that sedan delivery, you're like a turtle without his she11.
HELP 'EM BOTH BACK TO THE EASEL! keep an eye on those two cripples the whole time.

That there workshop in Boise is good for yer health. Gildin health that is.
Not only do they gild, but they teach, too, and maybe better than most.

Without that Blake fella to dog my trail, I had to miss it this time as well.
Other workshops will come along and be as good or better than the last one.
Every gilder has a right to learn some new tricks, too.

Hope to come back someday.

Someday.
and he took that golden hair and made a sweater for baby bear.
http://www.tonysegale.com
http://www.tonysegale.wordpress.com
Rich Hawthorne

Post by Rich Hawthorne »

Well said Tony, Larry et. al. Wonderful times in Boise, worth every moment and ounce of energy. As you say, Someday ... Someday

Sorry to have missed this one!