Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Visit with Tony Lewery

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Scarlett Rickard

Visit with Tony Lewery

Post by Scarlett Rickard »

I recently had the amazing privilege of meeting the signwriter, decorator and author Tony (AJ) Lewery in his studio on the Welsh border. He was charming and really supportive of my work so far, it was great to be able to talk to someone about technical details having been self taught. I am still a beginner, so it was lovely to meet someone with so much experience... and his studio was a wealth of interesting things! Here's some of the signs and panels he showed me - a nice little naive glass sign 'Farnell's', two panels by Alan Brindle which he painted to illustrate a lecture of Tony's - one illustrates fairground decor, one Romany decor, a beautiful slickly-painted panel which you may recognise from his book Signwritten Art painted by a coach painter in Preston, and a handsome back board from a Lancashire wide boat with a close up showing the unusual treatment of the shadows.

The panel painted by the coach painter (whose name has temporarily escaped me) was apparently done in front of Tony with no forward planning other than a couple of marked-out lines for x height.
Billy Pickett

Post by Billy Pickett »

...Thanks for posting those shots! Tony's sign (in particular) is lovely, and has valuable lessons to teach.
Wayne Osborne

Post by Wayne Osborne »

Very nice to see those Scarlett..( and to see you back in the swing too!)
Doug Bernhardt

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

Scarlett, a wealth of fascinating photos and your enthusiasm is a treat to watch/read. Just keep doing what you're doing.