Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Gilding back-up

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Doug Bernhardt

Gilding back-up

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

A few weeks ago someone saw me backing up my matt centres (23K) with bronzing powders. I didn't realise there were so many other ways and am very curious as to what others do. Mine is bronze powders and a spar varnish for the higher carats. With white and green gold I use japan white. This could also get interesting depending where in the world you are.
Billy Pickett

Post by Billy Pickett »

...On the last two tone w. matt gold (on a door transom) I did, I used One Shot metallic gold on it. It dries quickly, and I then filled in the back w. the (black) OS paint I used for the outlines.
John Studden

Post by John Studden »

Usually 1-shot quick size, or any other fast dry varnish mixed with the nearest shade of bronzing powder or mica powder. Also 1-shot metallic gold, brass or silver will do as well.....
The last coat is usually black to make everything look uniform.
John Studden
Valencia Signs, California
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

Doug.
Same as Johns gold metalic with some powders.
Dave