Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Penetrol to blend paint on glass?

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Bobbie Rochow

Penetrol to blend paint on glass?

Post by Bobbie Rochow »

Has anyone tried to use Penetrol to blend One Shot on reverse glass painting? I have used it to paint on a normal surface to get a nice blend, but not on glass.

I did a test piece the other day, & it looks really good so far.
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

Hello Bobbie
I use Penetrol for blending shades on glass, found it to be very good for glass work.
Dave
Scarlett Rickard

Post by Scarlett Rickard »

I haven't come across Penetrol before, I've just been struggling to blend colours by thinning them with turps... and it doesn't really work very well! This sounds like the answer to all my prayers! I am trying to learn a bit about fairground painting, particularly 'flamboyance' using flamboyant enamel, and as it's like nail varnish I've been struggling to keep the brush marks out of it and get a clean finish. Do you think Penetrol would help with flamboyants?
Billy Pickett

Post by Billy Pickett »

... Scarlet, Try mixing a tiny and miniscule amount of linseed oil w. the paint instead of terps. It will really extend the drying time, just don't add too much! There is/was a product called Smiths Cream that is used for blending enamels. And there is also probably something available to fine art oil painters that is similar...
Bobbie Rochow

Post by Bobbie Rochow »

Thank you dave, that is good news. Noel used Liquin made by Windsor Newton at the workshop but I had none on hand. Also, I always wanted to try Smith's Cream & Bob & Pat from Big City Signs in Johnstown just sent me some to try!

I have used Lindseed oil to blend artists oil paints & also One Shot & it worked pretty good. But I am comfortable knowing I can use these 3 things on glass with good results now.
Scarlett Rickard

Post by Scarlett Rickard »

Hey Billy Bob, thanks for your advice, I'll try it!

S