Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Cut Flashed glass

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

DAVE SMITH

Cut Flashed glass

Post by DAVE SMITH »

Hi Guy's .I have just finished this cut panel for a client. The panel in the centre is hand obscured and is brilliant cut . The flashed glass was cut and polished but was difficult to cut due to being so thin .
The original was vandalised by local kids.
Dave

joe cieslowski

Post by joe cieslowski »

As always...........................beautiful!

Joe
Makin Chip$ and Havin Fun!
Patrick Mackle

Post by Patrick Mackle »

Nice job Dave. Even though flash glass is thinner, I'll bet your work meets or beats the original.
Just think how it would be if you had not followed into the tradition of the brilliant cutters.
I'd like to have a moment with those kids. I'd sit them down and ask them what they thought went into making such a piece, and inform them about the years of skill and pride required.
Then I would ask "How can you break something that you yourself can not make??
Maybe that would induce some though, ya think?
Pat
Bobbie Rochow

Post by Bobbie Rochow »

What a truly elegant piece!!!!!
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

Thanks! for your comments once again you guy's.
Pat the original was very nicely cut I came pretty close but I guess those guy's were cutting day in day out.
Very labour intensive work but fun to do and look at afterwards. I was talking with Stuart Norton a few days ago,I mentioned to him about coming down and doing a workshop and making a piece with some cut glass on in different areas of the piece,he said he would rather paint with a brush and lay gold than do any cutting as he is cutting most days and has been for the past 40 years. He could probably Brilliant cut in his sleep....... anyway thanks again.......
Dave
Bobbie Rochow

Post by Bobbie Rochow »

Dave, I am new to this. What is Brilliant cut? I have no idea how glass like this is cut, but it is so beautiful to see.
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

Hello Bobbie
Brilliant Cutting is when you have a rotating stone wheel fixed onto a spindle which goes between a wooden or metal frame.
You place your glass over the turning wheel and make cuts into the glass ,once these cuts are ground out they are polished to bring the glass back to a clear optical finish.
The effects are endless and add striking embelishments to glass and glass signs. I have a few pieces on the go that I would like to show here in a few weeks time which are to be fitted in Gypsy Caravans in the London area.These panels will be gilded and silvered over Brilliant Cutting- that's if everything goes to plan and works like I would like it to.
Dave
Bobbie Rochow

Post by Bobbie Rochow »

Thank you Dave. I sure am looking forward to seeing these pieces when you post them.

Just when I think I am finally "getting it" with leafing on glass, I am faced with angel gilding, & now cutting! The possibilities are endless, I suppose. I think I will stick to the "plain 'ol leafing" until I get fairly good at it! I am enjoying myself immensely.
Roderick Treece

Post by Roderick Treece »

Dave,
Could you post some photos and sizes of what wheels you used to cut that art work out with.

Thanks
Roderick
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

Here you go Rod
First pic is of the wheel I did the flashed glass cutting which is about 8'' and the other was for the main panel and the size is 12''
Hope this helps you mate.