Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

New Letterhead Fonts Design

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

My very early sketches are gone but these were the sketches as it progressed to the final design.You can see where I was trying to go with the word fonts. I hand drew the letters LHF and then Vectored them as you see here. I like to draw the artwork first then any changes can be made by scanning back in the artwork and then printing it again to make any changes rather than use the computer for that part I prefer my hands doing the work. I would like to mention alott of these techniques I learnt from Dave Butler over the years. I never was able to make his workshops but am always chatting with him on Skype,he's been a very good friend and teacher to me sharing his skills with Photoshop ,the rest does come with practice though. and making the design your own. I have huge selection of ornamentation for reference which make great idea starters but not all the time I am able to find exactly what I'm looking for .I tend to start with the text roughly and then add my ornate shapes and scrolls. In some of the design you can see I was going to add brushes and the palletes either side but went for flowers instead.I was hoping it would be wider to add some old looking text but the pixel width was set for clarity and size for the site.
Thanks
Dave
Doug Bernhardt

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

Some great advice there Smitty. I bet Chuck would be a good choice. Karen should have included a link so we could see just her great work as well as how the site looks.
Last edited by Doug Bernhardt on Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
joe cieslowski

Post by joe cieslowski »

Here is Karens..............

http://www.cranberrysigncraft.com/

and Dans...

http://www.graphicd-signs.com/html/news.htm

Joe

Love the sketches, Dave!!!!
Makin Chip$ and Havin Fun!
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

Found this sketch also which shows the pallet idea but changed from this idea to a wider design and flowers.
Dave
Aaron Taylor

Post by Aaron Taylor »

Beautifully.... speechless!
Aaron
Brix Design
Wayne Osborne

Post by Wayne Osborne »

Really nice to see those Dave, they have so much "life" in them compared to the finished (but no less stunning) vectored work.
Bobbie Rochow

Post by Bobbie Rochow »

Dave, that is just so beautiful!!!! It is fun to just sit & examine closely everything you have in it. And I love the sketches too.

I am sure Chuck must be so happy with this. I met him at Noel's in October, & he is such a very nice guy. I was just thinking about him this morning when I put my Letterhead font t shirt on! hey.... you mentioned t shirts~could this possibly make it onto t shirts too?
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

Thanks Bobbie. Chuck plans on having the design on posters and I would bet he has it made for t-shirts also.
Dave
James Kelly

Post by James Kelly »

Dave, that's just stunning mate.
James Kelly
Judy Grossman

Post by Judy Grossman »

OK...I have to say...I can't say it better than Mark Oatis...First his most wonderful passionate writing...then...that is the most *#@!^%!!!! piece o' work I have ever seen! Like Mike Myers and Dana Carvey said..."We're not worthy! We're not worthy!" AWESOME! I haven't gotten on to the LHF site in a couple weeks...I will have to keep watching for it! I would give my eye teeth to paibnt that puppy HUGE! If someone does do it, please, please, call me. I want to play with that gorgeous piece of "passion"!
Thank you so much for sharing, caring and creating! You are an inspiration!