Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Old Grumbacher handle-less quills

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Leo Calleros

Old Grumbacher handle-less quills

Post by Leo Calleros »

I was wondering if anyone had a lead on some where to get some brush handles. I bought these on ebay.

I guess I could get some handles off some old brushes but dont have too many spare brushes laying around.

Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

Hi Leo,
There might be someone here that has a pile of old brush handles, but I'd be pretty surprised if they do. They haven't sold brushes like that in a long time! At least from what I can tell, those aren't really sign lettering brushes designed to have a chiseled flat side, but more for watercolors and artist's uses.

I've had a few of the old brush handles over the years. For all practical purposes, they are simply dowels with a 1" (+/-)section of the end milled down to a smaller diameter. It looks like you have quite a few different diameter needs there, too.

Kent Smith's Dad probably used a lot of the brushes that had to be "assembled".

Good luck finding them!

Mike Jackson
Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons
Frank Smith

Post by Frank Smith »

I use both oil and water paints and old handles aren't always very good- the oil or water both get into the wood eventually and it rots. I buy dollar store brushes just for the handles.
Leo Calleros

Post by Leo Calleros »

I was actually going to use them for water coloring. I am always on the lookout for the old vintage brushes, they just work so much better. I think I will do that and go get some cheapo handles.
Kent Smith

quills

Post by Kent Smith »

Not only did Dad use this type of quill but I was still buying them in the 1980's. Some of Glawson's original stock for the store were handleless quills. Remember Pete Ordway bringing quills to an early Conclave for sale? He and his sister-in-law were just starting their sign supply business and had acquired a large stock of brushes. That is why I kept the how-to in the book for attaching them to handles. I have a cigarbox with many quills and just enough handles for them. I don't know of a current source for handles but certainly cheap brushes are a good start. I also keep other brushes when the hair wears out for the handle. Some art supply and sign supply stores still have an old stock of handles that they probably don't know what to to with and would make a deal. I don't know if it is still possible but up to about 5 years ago you could custom order from Raphael and get just the quills in dozen lots and gross lots. Of course the current quills are mostly plastic, not goose quills.
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

From what I can tell, most of the quill sections are way too long. I'd probably cut them down to about an inch or maybe an inch and a quarter on a bandsaw, then make my own handles out of the appropriate sized dowels. I don't think it would take too long to score a line in the dowel about an inch from the end by rolling it under an X-Acto knife blade. Then, just carve the end of the handle down to the stop cut as necessary to fit the quill.

Good luck,
Mike Jackson
Golden Era Studios
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Best of the Tetons
Leo Calleros

Post by Leo Calleros »

I have some oak dowels laying around. I will throw some on the lathe and turn some handles this week. I will just try to copy some handles from my brushes and see how it works.
Ray Smith

Re: Old Grumbacher handle-less quills

Post by Ray Smith »

You could also take some dowel stock and cut it to the appropriate length and sand the taper on a disc sander(bench mount) using a fine grit disc.With a little practice,you can get some pretty fine control.I have a small unit that uses a 1"x30" belt combined with a 6" disc purchased at a yard sale for $6.
"May you be in a half hour before the devil knows you're dead"
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

I looked around here for a few of the old brush handles, but I have a feeling they went with the Steven Parrish kits to the American Sign Museum. It might be nice if someone can take a photo of a few handles and post them here. They are not fancy at all.
Golden Era Studios
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Best of the Tetons
Ray Smith

Post by Ray Smith »

Mike Jackson wrote:I looked around here for a few of the old brush handles, but I have a feeling they went with the Steven Parrish kits to the American Sign Museum. It might be nice if someone can take a photo of a few handles and post them here. They are not fancy at all.
Here is a not so good photo of some old handles I got awhile back in a vintage sign kit.
Attachments
WatsonKit007.JPG
WatsonKit007.JPG (19.95 KiB) Viewed 7038 times
WatsonKit005.JPG
WatsonKit005.JPG (21.26 KiB) Viewed 7031 times
"May you be in a half hour before the devil knows you're dead"
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

Thanks for posting the photos. It occurred to me I might have one in an old vase of brushes.

This is more what I had in my mind's eye of the old brush handles. They are VERY plain. Just a dowel of the appropriate diameter and a section of it ground down to leave a shoulder for the back edge of the quill. When done this way, you wouldn't feel a ridge at the joint.
Attachments
Old style brush handle and quill.
Old style brush handle and quill.
brushhandle.jpg (17.23 KiB) Viewed 7026 times
Golden Era Studios
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Best of the Tetons