Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

windows xp64

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

DAVE SMITH

windows xp64

Post by DAVE SMITH »

I'm upgrading my computer and was asked if the programmes I use are compatible with windows xp 64.
I use Photoshop, illustrator cs ,gerber omega 2.0 and corel . Do you think this will run these programmes? also I leave my computer running constantly, its on all year round. Does anyone else leave there's on? I don't think they use alott of energy but with the credit crunch it maybe a good idea to turn this baby off. Always avoided switching it on and off due to any problems it may cause. That's what I was advised....
Thanks
Dave
Doug Bernhardt

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

As for the 'pooter programs I wouldn't have a clue, but as for how much energy they use.....Mine says 400w I believe which would be the same as leaving 4/ 100watt bulbs going steadily.
Jerry Berg

Post by Jerry Berg »

I once witnessed quite a discussion amongst the pros on whether to be leaving a computer on all the time or shutting it off at nights. The outcome was 50/50, with slightly more in favor of shutting down. This discussion was amongst certified computer techs who did this for a living. I now turn my 'puter off at nights and have been for over a year now.

I currently have a 64 bit xp pro computer and have no problems running anything on it, I think my programs are older than yours as well.
Tony Segale

Post by Tony Segale »

I used to leave mine on, but in the last few weeks, I have been turning it off every night.
In the past, with my other computer, I found it took long to load up when I started, but found out it was due to all the programs that were running
and the amount of memory that had been used.
Now, with less programs and memory stored, I turn it off. Go figure.

Caught up to us again with those darn technologies, hey Lafayette?
and he took that golden hair and made a sweater for baby bear.
http://www.tonysegale.com
http://www.tonysegale.wordpress.com
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

Dave, from what I read, you will need the Adobe CS4 suite to run in Windows 64-bit. I am not sure about Corel. Without a doubt, I'd ask Gerber before upgrading to a 64-bit system. If they aren't ready yet, I'd either wait or buy another 32-bit system. When I was buying my laptop last fall, the salesman warned me of the potential of 64-bit software issues. I had him look on the Adobe box and the Photoshop CS3 suite was still only rated for 32-bit. I don't think CS4 was ready at the time. I bought a 32-bit laptop. Buying a new 64-bit system would add another $400 to upgrade my CS3 Suite.

You can do a Google search for info on 64-bit software compatibility. There is a lot of discussion on this topic out there. I wrote an article in SC a while back that addresses some of this, but the big problem isn't the major software. You have to watch out for all the drivers, utilities, and secondary software and filters. You might end up having to buy a new scanner and upgrade a pile of Photoshop and Illustrator filters to get to continue using them.

Also, from what I am reading, many of the new systems are shipping with at least four gigs of RAM. That sounds like a lot to most of us, but apparently the new system hogs up a larger chunk of it. Some say you really need 6 or more gigs of ram to take advantage of all the new power and system improvements.

Good luck!
Mike Jackson
Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons
Patrick Mackle

saving energy?

Post by Patrick Mackle »

In answer to turning off your computer. I turn my Macs on and off several times a day seven days a week. Almost as I would light bulbs. Sometimes I leave the computer running most of the day, but turn off the printer and scanner.
I think it comes from my parents when I was young, I also always close all my doors. I'm pretty sure it stems from hearing them ask me sarcastically "were you born in a barn" and also "do you own the electric company?"
My Macs last for years and become obsolete before they break down. Off and on doesn't seem to affect them.
Pat
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

This is great advice from all of you thanks!. I guess by putting it in standby would help....... looks like it may be a good idea to steer away from xp 64at the moment then. This computer is running well but with some of the larger Photoshop files it is slowing down . The machine is 2 years old and I guess it's time to change it for a faster machine. Any advice on what to go for specification wise? I mostly use Photoshop ,Omega,and Illustrator.
Thanks
Dave
Doug Bernhardt

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

I'd like to see the benefits (or not) of Macs in this instance. Am getting ready to switch over to Mac with next computer which is due pretty soon. I've been having trouble with illustrator and have heard it runs "cleaner" on a mac. I have seen my PC with (XP on it) get clogged up with residue and install programs from programs long since deleted. Having said all this I should probably keep my mouth shut as everyone here knows I'm not the "GoToGuy"
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

Doug,
You can download and install a registry cleaner for your PC and it can help quite a bit. I use Uniblue Registry Cleaner. It found over 2000 registry problems on my machine the first time it ran. I think it cost around $20, maybe $30. I am still using Windows XP on this machine. I have Vista on the laptop....prefer XP.

Switching to a Mac: Besides the initial expense of the computer, you'll have to rebuy all your software and filters. Only a few programs were written and sold as either/or with your original purchase. I am not convinced they are that much more stable, but I haven't had one of the new Macs to have much to compare. Adobe wrote CS4 to work with a 64 bit Windows system, but they didn't do it for the Mac (yet). I don't know if that really matters, but at least a few Mac people were not happy with Adobe for putting them on the back burner.

I don't think I'd switch just because your PC has some lingering legacy junk in the trunk. You could probably have someone format the hard drive, reinstall the operating system and do a clean install of just your current programs. I wouldn't do that until I had exhausted a few basic steps such as the registry cleaner.

IF starting over long, long ago, I might consider going the Mac route, but that'd also assume I wasn't planning on needing a Gerber Edge, Router, or several of the other PC dedicated software programs and hardware. The Adobe suites work essentially the same on both platforms. IF I were planning on doing a lot of video editing, I'd lean towards the MAC to get Final Cut. It is only available on the Mac, but Sony makes a good video editing program for PC...I think it is called Vega.

You are doing a lot of photos...I'd suggest looking into Adobe Lightroom 2.2. I am really liking it for cataloging my photos.

Good luck,
M. Jackson
Golden Era Studios
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Best of the Tetons
Billy Pickett

Post by Billy Pickett »

...DOUG, you are going to LOVE your new MAC! If nothing else, avoiding the issues outlined above will absolutely validate it. Note that the people who are so certain they have to have PC's, most have never owned a Mac. While their criticism is that Macs are too expensive to buy, perhaps the issue is really that they have "invested" way too much money on PC stuff to (think they should or can) change platforms. Who wants to be married to Gerber or stuck using copy cat, virus friendly Microsoft products anyway...?
...Another way to see it is, what would we rather our clients purchase from us, a well designed and built "quality" sign (with gold leaf etc.) or the cheapest vinyl on corplast sign possible??? Come on...
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

Billy,
Just to clarify. I haven't had a "new" Mac in a long time, but I have owned several , including one here on my desk right now beside this PC. There are a few people here with both. In my experience with both, I can say BOTH crash, both have to be tweaked from time to time, and both can get a virus. I've paid for full licensed versions of most of the Adobe products on BOTH platforms and upgraded or updated the expensive little utilities on both for a long time. No one will ever convince me a Mac is that much more trouble free and stable.

Having to repurchase the entire set of software packages for a second platform just makes terrible financial sense. In the end, I would have to ask myself if any single image, photo or graphic would have been better if I had used a different system, and I don't think I could give a single example where that is true, especially if comparing two equally equiped systems. While Doug might not need a router or thermal printer, historically all new advances in the sign market have come from the PC side vendors. Even back in the early days, it took a long, long time before any Mac was able to drive a plotter...and not very well at that.

I think I said it earlier, but IF I could start over from scratch, owning nothing to influence me, I would buy a MAC if the only software I planned on using were the Adobe suite of programs, and for sure if I were going to do video editing and wanted Final Cut. Otherwise, I don't think it really matters. Switching to get promises of "greener pastures" is an expensive venture. Again, I am not knocking MACs at all, nor am I knocking a PC. They are just not that different.

Just my 2¢...worth less.

M. Jackson
Golden Era Studios
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Best of the Tetons
Doug Bernhardt

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

Yes......the old battle continues. I happen to be in a fortunate place where all I need it for is the Adobe stuff. Illustrator and Photoshop. As it is my version of photoshop is CS2 and the second user which I'm not sure I could update as my wife uses or better used to use it for work. I have not had my own copy of that. Really my computer has only a couple of programs that would need replacing.....so we'll see. It'll take a month or so before I buy anywho!! Thanx for the discussion.
Billy Pickett

Post by Billy Pickett »

Danny Baronian
Site Admin

Post by Danny Baronian »

Some facts - most programs, especially those you ues regularly, will not run, or are not totally compatible on 64 bit. Ditto for Vista. Nor will those same programs utilize the maximum amount of ram you install, and will not benefit with a dual or quad core computer regardless of OS - Mac or PC.

Several friends that work full time as security IT's, overseeing and maintaining thousands of computers under XP say of Vista say: don't.

Mac or PC? There used to be a vast difference. Open a mac in the finder, under user, or root level, and you see folders: Desktop, docs, downloads, Library, etc. The file structure on the PC is exactly the same, no difference. The only difference I see is maintaining the OS itself.

Starting out with a mac, I find it easier to use simply because I use it the most, and find many advantages to the OS, especially since OS X was introduced. Working on a PC for CNC output I can do what I need, but lack a deeper understanding when maintenance is required beyond disk cleaning and de frag utilities.

If I were to purchase a PC replacement today, and the cost was comparable I'd get a mac because with the new machines, you can run both a mac and pc OS or one at a time.

The biggest advantage of the two is that the mac is more secure, and seems to run with fewer problems, and to date no viruses. But add the pc os to the mix on a dual platform machine, and the machine is subjected to the same attacks and problems. If you're running windows only on the mac, you're subject to the same attacks as a PC.

In addition to a mac and a pc, I own a mac laptop pro, which has both windows and mac OS. The major difference I find running windows on it is the speed increase using ArtCam, used for 3D work. On the mac, running windows the rendering for models on screen, and generating code for the router the times are about 20-30% faster than on a pc running XP. Other than that, the difference in a few key combinations, I see little difference. Illustrator, Photoshop, and a few other programs all seem to work the same. As for physical design and systems graphics, Mac is great, but that's only personal preference. The pc platform is catching up.

If the reason to switch is to see an increase in speed or a more stable platform, you may be disappointed. Add to that the learning curve for some, the additional cost of new programs and plug ins will make for a costly switch. I was just in the Apple store to have my lap top checked and they recommended the purchase of a directory cleaner for the mac, so mac's catching up. Mac's has hidden files too, and if those aren't maintained - as on the pc, you end up with a sluggish machine or worse.

As for energy savings I leave the computers running all the time, shutting down only when I'll be gone for extended times. For savings eliminate your screen saver, selecting a blank, black screen. Set sleep mode for 30 minutes of inactivity, and hard drive and monitor sleep or hibernation for your required times.

Everyone will have a different opinion, mine comes from regularly operation on both platforms. The mac does fine for me, but the shop computer running XP SP2 is a very stable platform that also performs well.

Take into consideration the equipment you run. If your running a plotter, edge, or CNC you'll most likely need a serial port to run your equiptment. Some may use USB, but not all. I doubt an internal serial connector can be added to a laptop, but would need to be added in a PCI slot on a mac.

Last but not least for those that take the dual platform plunge. You will find yourself in Mac OS PC Neverland. Call apple for help on the windows platform and you'll be told they don't provide service for windows, the same from MS. It'll change in time, but for now it's DIY, online forums or the Geek Squad.

It's a tool. Use the tool you're most comfortable with.

Surprisingly after a quick google search, little information was found that substantially answered the question of whether leaving the system running or shutting down daily saved the most.

Danny
Danny Baronian
Baronian Mfg.
CNC Routing & Fabrication
http://www.baronian.com