Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

A bit of a stretch for me.

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Mike Jackson
Site Admin

A bit of a stretch for me.

Post by Mike Jackson »

A few days ago, Doug posted a panoramic shot of an old European sign shop. Very cool!

Over the summer, I learned how to photograph panoramic images in the field, then learned how to stitch them together into a single image in Photoshop. Tonight, I took the last step and learned how to show a set of panoramic images in a web page. While it is a bit off topic for this forum, others here might visualize how they might utilize the same technology for signs and graphics on their site.

Here's the link to the Panos page:
http://www.tetonimages.com/pages/PanoGallery1.html

Actually, I can tie this into a real sign making post... :) Last year, we bought a new Toyota Prius at about the time gas prices appeared to be heading for the heavens. On the back of the Prius, there is a long, thin strip of glass. I told Darla I was planning on photographing a panoramic image, then printing on the EdgeView material with our edge. (It might be called something else, but it is the material with the small holes in it for viewing through the glass as you might see on mass transit buses). After we talked about it, I started shooting various panoramic versions of the Grand Teton mountain range. Originally, we talked about me printing a nice, tasteful image for the sides of the car with Teton Images on it. After speaking with other professional photographers about it, I decided not to do it. They said putting signs on the side of the vehicles encourage theft by announcing the fact you probably have some very expensive equipment in the car. Sounded logical to me. The simple vista graphic would help identify the car without broadcasting I had photo equipment inside.

Mike Jackson
Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons
Duncan Wilkie

Post by Duncan Wilkie »

Nice work Mike. That's a very dramatic presentation.
I believe the perf material is called GerberVision
joe cieslowski

Post by joe cieslowski »

Stunning!

Joe
Makin Chip$ and Havin Fun!
Raymond Chapman

Post by Raymond Chapman »

Outstanding! Just beautiful shots of your paradise.
Jerry Berg

Post by Jerry Berg »

Like Raymond said, "Beautiful", You surely live in a paradise. The pictures look very professional, like something out of national geographic. Top notch.
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

Thanks for the comments.

I think someone could do a similar panoramic style image for a web slideshow of truck lettering. You could start at the front fender and let it pan across the full length of the truck or bus. That'd allow better details down the full length than a single full image. For that instance, you wouldn't need to shoot numerous shots and stitch them together...just crop the single image to the right pano proportions. In the shots on the web page, it would have been close to impossible to capture that much horizontal terrain in one or even two images. Most of them took four or five shots.

Doug's pano of the sign shop might be another example of where the process would work. When in a tight space, such as a street or alley, capturing the entire side of the building in one shot might be impractical. They also make a special "tilt/shift" perspective lens which could come in handy for those situations. They can help reduce or eliminate some of the converging perspective lines.

Duncan...yep that's it. Gerber Vision. Thanks!
Golden Era Studios
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Best of the Tetons
Larry White

Post by Larry White »

Nice sunset...very nice sunset!

I like sunsets, I mean, I always have.

Great photography Mike! Just how close were you to that bear?

I wouldn't know how many hours, and miles, you've got into getting those shots, but I bet it's a lot!

Your scenery is a bit prettier than mine, truth be told...
this old alley, God Almighty, just takes you to the end of the line!

You're a smart man Mike, you're even a legend, darn it!
I hope all your endeavours are a success!

-Aho!
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

Mike.
Great work as usual there. Excellent stuff! A few years back I put together a website for my Island collection. I am about to update it and make it abit more interesting, at the time I made a panoramic of my workshop .The workshop has changed now and is bigger and looks totally different to the image on the site . I took a series of shots from a standing tripod position to produce this panoramic.

I guess it's the same as what your talking about but not as good as yours.

look under studio and click on virtual tour.
Dave
Last edited by DAVE SMITH on Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Roderick Treece

Post by Roderick Treece »

Mike,Great work as always.One suggestion would be to have one long still of the panoramic shots like those small pop up versions.For me when it scrolls across in the smaller format I don't really get how truley magnificent the panaramic is.Maybe put them right below your scrolling version.

Keep up the great work!
Doug Bernhardt

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

Mike loved the pano's but have to ask....what happened or is happening with the hawk going after the owl? Incredible shot.
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

Roderick,
Thanks for the suggestion.
Try this page:

http://www.tetonimages.com/pages/PanoGalleryImages.html

Doug, That was Northern Harrier trying to take a vole from the talons of a Barn Owl. I shot it last February just outside Salt Lake City. I hope to be down there again this February for one of Corey's ski competitions.

Mike Jackson
Golden Era Studios
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Best of the Tetons