Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

stage blasting of a kudu glass table top

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Pat Welter

stage blasting of a kudu glass table top

Post by Pat Welter »

This is a 2 ft x 4 ft x 3/8 inch thick glass table top. Stage blasted in eleven stages to give it the detail. The initial blast was done with aluminum oxide at 40 lbs pressure with a 3/32 inch nozzle hole. The surface blast of the logo was done at 5 pounds pressure and a 3/8 inch nozzle hole.
kudu3.jpg
kudu3.jpg (48.14 KiB) Viewed 6531 times
Pump head that drives the rotors( that bring the oil to the surface) that look much like a kudu horns
kudu4.jpg
kudu4.jpg (40.16 KiB) Viewed 6525 times
Lighting the 3/8 inch glass from the edge really pops the dimension
kudu6.jpg
kudu6.jpg (27.54 KiB) Viewed 6525 times
The company logo is lightly blasted on the face side to make it appear as though it is floating over the background
Creativity is allowing ones self to make mistakes. Talent is knowing which ones to keep.
Pat Welter

Re: stage blasting of a kudu glass table top

Post by Pat Welter »

Here are a couple more. We used anchor rubber for the stage blasting and we used hartco glass masking for the fron blast. This is my first stage blast. We drew it all out and numbered the stages and then transfered those numbers to the rubber mask. Blasting the glass took approx. 7 hours.
kudu7.jpg
kudu7.jpg (23.07 KiB) Viewed 6527 times
This is what the entire glass looks like. It has a 3 inch wide blasted border to help hide the table legs.
kudu.jpg
kudu.jpg (28.14 KiB) Viewed 6527 times
This is the kudu without any edge lighting.
Creativity is allowing ones self to make mistakes. Talent is knowing which ones to keep.
Danny Baronian
Site Admin

Post by Danny Baronian »

Hi Pat, nice work.

What did the client say when you delivered it?

Danny
Danny Baronian
Baronian Mfg.
CNC Routing & Fabrication
http://www.baronian.com
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

Kudos to Pat!
Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons
Pat Welter

Post by Pat Welter »

Hi Danny, Hope all's well and your keep'n busy...The client was extremely happy...I estimated my time in a bit low, but not having done a stage blast like this before it was a bit of a guessing game. Will know better for the next one... Thanks Guys.

PS: Say hi to Kathy for us.
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

Lots of work Pat ,nice job..
Dave
Kelly Thorson

Post by Kelly Thorson »

It turned out pretty darn good for the first sand carving job. You'd be wicked with the right equipment, having used silicon carbide and experiencing the "flashlight effect" which shows you exactly where you are blasting, as well as the enhanced speed of cutting, I'm thinking it would have cut your hours to considerably less than half!
Get yourself down here one of these days and we'll play chipping, mirroring and angel gilding and all those glassy eyed things. I could use a good case of Welters for a weekend. :)
I believe there is no shame in failure. Rather, the shame lies in the loss of all the things that might have been, but for the fear of failure.
Doug Bernhardt

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

Hi Pat,
Although I know little of multi-stage sandblasting I do have an understanding of what it takes to do it well. I'd say this fits in that category! I do recall seeing photos or some Rawson and Evans work that included portraits in the blast. Gosh........ that must have taken some working out.
Pat Welter

Post by Pat Welter »

Funny Mike, thanks all. Doug you are right about the having to work it out, nice to see it come together as in your minds eye...IF you have those pics from Rawson and Evans, and can post, it'd be cool to see. Thanks, Pat
Doug Bernhardt

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

Pat....that photo is in their catalogue and there are quite a few photocopies (like mine) of it about. Mine is at the shop where of course there is no technology. If someone else can't find it closer to a 'pooter I'll work something out.