Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Questions concerning fonts...

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

James Stirling

Questions concerning fonts...

Post by James Stirling »

My name is James and, I work for a sign shop in Tulsa. But, in my spare time I work with Mike Adkins creating fonts. Since both of us come from a sign background - mostly computer based - we design fonts with signs in mind. Now I understand that this is primarily a hand lettering forum (I'm not that thick despite what some people say.). But, I assume that some of you use some computer fonts. I also understand that commercial abuse of this forum isn't acceptable. Right about now you are asking yourself, "what is the point."

The point of all of this is that I'm trying to get some feed back about a couple of fonts we've designed recently. We've put them up on MyFonts with no success. I'm starting to think that it is the wrong market. So, let me know what you think or you can even tell me where to go and how to get there...

First is Copper Penny. It is a revival of Copperplate Gothic.
CopperPennyPoster600.jpg
CopperPennyPoster600.jpg (193.75 KiB) Viewed 4490 times
Download the specimen book here http://cdn.myfonts.com/s/aw/original/40/0/20617.pdf

FHA Eccentric French, adapted to the digital world by Frank Smith and Mike Adkins
EF500.jpg
EF500.jpg (127.86 KiB) Viewed 4487 times
Download the specimen book here http://cdn.myfonts.com/s/aw/original/42/0/21920.pdf

Thanks for your input.
James
:mrgreen:
Clan Stirling Motto: Gang Forward (as if you know what you are doing)

http://www.thefontry.com/
Kelly Thorson

Re: Questions concerning fonts...

Post by Kelly Thorson »

I'd try making a web page for each of the individual fonts with all the pertinent meta tags, link it to the pages that sell the font and wherever else you can, maybe there are others like me that have a search engine obsession. I really like Copper Penny, I think it would be a popular font with the right marketing, good luck with it. Have you tried an advertisement in Signcraft or Signs of the Times or one of the other trade mags? Sometimes it takes a while for a new font to catch on. I also think you could do better with the gallery images for it on myfonts, get some cool illustrations up there that show it being used in it's glory.
See if you can get it posted on some engraving and monument forums/sites as well.

Curious to see where this one goes......
I believe there is no shame in failure. Rather, the shame lies in the loss of all the things that might have been, but for the fear of failure.
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

Hi James,
You may be expecting thousands of sales the first week, but I don't think it works that way. As far as I know, you only released these fonts in the past week?

You need to let the advertising at MyFonts kick in, then let people have a chance to see the fonts at their site. Being turn of the century "retro" fonts, people will decide when they need that look. With a tight economy, I don't think people are spending on impulse quite like they did in the past.

Good luck on them!
Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons
James Stirling

Post by James Stirling »

Actually Mike, Copper Penny was first released last fall and French Eccentric about two weeks ago.
since that time we have gotten a number of suggestions that other weights and styles of Copper Penny might be a good idea. I'm not as concerned for instant wealth or fame as I am some indication that we are generally going in the right direction.
Clan Stirling Motto: Gang Forward (as if you know what you are doing)

http://www.thefontry.com/
Dan Beach

Post by Dan Beach »

I have Copper Penny and I like it.

I still haven't had the right project to use it, but I always seem to consider it.
Dan Beach
Cylinder 9 Designs
South Jersey
Frank Smith

Post by Frank Smith »

What these fonts need is to become families, I think. Much easier said than done. I'd love to make a condensed version of Eccentric French, and then an italic of both the regular and condensed versions. First, I'd need the software, then learn the software, then find the time outside of work and family time...
cam bortz

Post by cam bortz »

I downloaded both fonts, and have used them in jobs. The Atkinson font I have found particularly useful, a nice variation - I also own the LHF version but find this one more appealing. :D