Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

vinyl mask for angel gilding and mirroring

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

megan child

vinyl mask for angel gilding and mirroring

Post by megan child »

Hi I'm Meg and this is my first post.
just briefly - I am not a sign writer but about 10 years ago I worked with sign writers and we did some silvering and angel gilding. I cant remember a lot of things that were done and I need your help, I'm hoping you can answer my questions.

Last time I created a mirror we used a screen to put japan black paint on the surface areas we required mirroring and then I was able to remove the excess silver and add my own stippled colours.
I am now trying to make a mirror with the letter B and a bee (angel gilded) in the corner of the mirror

The mirror size is aprox 10 inches by 12 inches.

I read in one of the forums topics that you can use a vinyl mask. I would like more of an explanation.
1. what vinyl is best for this?
2. do I add the vinyl to the glass and then clean the exposed areas that will be angel gilded?
3. If I use the vinyl mask for the angel gild, paint over the gilded area and then remove the mask to add the silver what is the best product to clean the glass without effecting the gilded area.

look forward to your imput

meg :?
Attachments
bbee.jpg
bbee.jpg (4.94 KiB) Viewed 2047 times
Meg
I don't make mistakes, I just have learnings.

:p
Rob Schramm

Re: vinyl mask for angel gilding and mirroring

Post by Rob Schramm »

Welcome, I too am new but I am not new to the silvering aspect, just the board. Avery Spray Mask is what I use. You would 100% clean the mirror prior to the addition of vinyl and once installed clean the open areas lightly. Do your angel gilding and then back it and allow to dry 24 hours. At that point you can remove the vinyl and clean the glass again and then tin and silver.

Sarah and Mike are friends of mine at Angel gilding and Mike is always busy but Sarah loves to help out and she is as nice as can be. I need to call her myself as I havent talked to her in about 3 weeks.

Good luck.
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ