Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Mike's Design with a twist - Chalkboard art

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Rob Schramm

Mike's Design with a twist - Chalkboard art

Post by Rob Schramm »

Well I cannot take any credit for this one other then doing the actual work. This is Mike's design and a friend that does fauxs idea about tuning this into a chalkboard. I have to say it is genius as my sister in law wants one as does 2 salons owners that I know (different word or course) and a catering service wants one to put on an easel. The amazing part is I just finished this about 1 hour ago! Cannot write on it for 3 days and can wash it for 7 but who cares!
Attachments
chalkboard 001-small.jpg
chalkboard 001-small.jpg (65.71 KiB) Viewed 7402 times
chalkboard 002 - small.jpg
chalkboard 002 - small.jpg (33.63 KiB) Viewed 7403 times
chalkboard 003 - small.jpg
chalkboard 003 - small.jpg (68.09 KiB) Viewed 7401 times
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
Ron Berlier

Re: Mike's Design with a twist - Chalkboard art

Post by Ron Berlier »

Looks good Rob! What did you use for the substrate and is the design done in paint or leaf? Hard to tell from pics.
Ron Berlier
Wherever I go, there I am.
Rob Schramm

Post by Rob Schramm »

For the sample it was done on masonite but if when I do these I do them on walls (sold 18 this week by the way). Then to make chalkboard paint you can buy it ready in green (ugly) or black (I like that one) or use this formula:

1 cup of quality flat interior paint (exterior for outside)
Mix in 2 tablespoons of unsanded grout
(mix well)

Your overlay is the design is the detail and you can use anything from housepaint, compo leaf but I used metallic foil. Paint needs 3 days cure time and then take the side of a piece of chalk and go over the entire piece and erase it. The key is you need to let it fully cure for 7 days before you can wash it! After 7 days do whatever you want!

Other ideas are: white erase paint and magnetic paint. The skys the limit as well are the color choices with the mix above!!!

Have fun with it as I have
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

I'd probably just buy a commercial (BLACK) chalkboard, then leaf and paint the outside and decorations. Saves all the mess and delay, plus you'd get a tried and true background.

Mike Jackson
Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons
Rob Schramm

Post by Rob Schramm »

Mike,

I guess that would work but these go into kitchens, spas, salons, cafes, coffee shops and more and most people just want to be able to draw on the wall and erase it. Most customers that I have dont want to have it hang, they want it embedded into the finish or paint job they have. This allows for customization as well as artistic freedom other wise you just have a square or rectangle piece of slate with a design which can be done with a normal stencil. Believe it or not these sell as fast as I show them. They are actually getting looked at for possible production for a catering wholesale supply as a customizable menu chart not to mention the wedding supply places that have been calling me! Fastest selling idea I have ever had in my hands...
Catharine C. Kennedy

Post by Catharine C. Kennedy »

Very cool idea- good for you! :lol:
Another thought though- how long does the paint mix have to dry before you can paint on the florishes???
Catharine C. Kennedy
Chatham Center, NY
Danny Baronian
Site Admin

Post by Danny Baronian »

Unless I'm missing something regarding Mike's question concerning commercially available chalk board, you spend 3- 7 days waiting for the paint to dry, vs immediate use. In this area (CA) chalkboard material is available in green and black, 1/8" and 1/2" thick. Router cut ANY type of shape for the background, screen or mask, finish and hang.

A portion of our work consists of supplying several independent chains of grocers for the last 15 years. Other than murals, all signage is either hung as isle markers, or framed and hung on the wall. Many of the chains like Safeway and especially Albert sons, have very clean and creative signage. The signage is also changed regularly, so they generally want the signs removable.

If I understand correctly, you're doing this work on location? In this area, for work on site to add that image to the wall, come back after the chalk board paint was dry would constitute 2 trips, with a total charge minimum $ 300 - 500 per image.

Be prepared for two problems: a dirty wall in and around the chalk board. Check your doors at home. The ones that haven't been cleaned for a while around the door knob. The signs will look like that in 2 weeks or less.

Will your materials hold up under constant, daily use, including being scrubbed down daily? The clerks and or the cleaning crew responsible for using and cleaning anything in the store are brutal on everything that is not bullet proof.

Danny
Danny Baronian
Baronian Mfg.
CNC Routing & Fabrication
http://www.baronian.com
Rob Schramm

Post by Rob Schramm »

Danny,

Slow down, I dont get what you are saying... I understood Mikes idea and that would be great but while I am newer to the glass business I have been doing interior design on walls and ceilings for 23 years.

I am definatly not saying that your and Mikes idea will not work, I also am not saying that what you suggest isnt smart. I think maybe you are not getting what I am doing. It is chalk that they are writing on the wall with not marker but I have even painted walls in kids rooms with crazy designs and white erase board paint. The formula I posted in one of the other posts is pretty tuff stuff, I had it up in my office in Florida for 3 years, used it daily and never once had a dirty wall issue using white chalk. Most of the people that I do business with just have me cut vinyl and I cannot get into routing out backers for a heavy chalkboard when this works. When I posted this I was only saying that the design idea was new but I have been doing chalkboard stuff for quite a while.

Now one more little thing, I have white doors in my house and I do not have rings around my door knobs and the only place that I have really ever seen that is in shops, garages and places where hands are not clean. Not trying to be smart but I just thought that I would share this idea and show another use for Mikes design, if you dont like the idea that is cool I just thought that this was a place to share and since it was Mikes design I thought I would show it here as it is a HUGE HIT!
Roderick Treece

Post by Roderick Treece »

Every client is defferent. Some might want it on a substraight , some painted right on the wall.I used to do alot of chalk boards for Marie Callenders Restaurants .Back then I always bought it in 4x8 sheets and cut it out.Sounds good to me painting it right on the wall but I haven't ever had anyone ask for it that way.
Now I use a premade chalk board paint from Ben Moore. Dryies in 3 hr and it's ready in 24hr.

Roderick
www.customglasssigns.com
Rob Schramm

Post by Rob Schramm »

Roderick,

Your right about different substrates for each client as I just got a deal with a huge catering service in Chicago and they want 10 chalkboards with their logo at the bottom and menu at the top on masonite so they can present them at weddings on an easel. Did I give you the recipe for making your own chalkboard paint in any color that you want and you can even make it out of 0 VOC paint. If not I will post it.
Roderick Treece

Post by Roderick Treece »

" 1 cup of quality flat interior paint (exterior for outside)
Mix in 2 tablespoons of unsanded grout
(mix well)"
In all the years I've had requistes for chalk board people alway's ask for black or green.
Rob Schramm

Post by Rob Schramm »

Yeah that is it ( you can use quality interior flat as well). Maybe the reason for green and black is because traditionally that is all that is available.