Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Glue-Chipping Machine

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Steven Vigeant

Glue-Chipping Machine

Post by Steven Vigeant »

Well I was there in Machine doing some glue-chipping, on a Mental Health Day last month, and the pieces are just now finishing to chip. Now I realize that most of the mental health I acquired wore off a while back. I used Blake's glue and pot, an honor to be sure, but I did put on the glue very quickly and a bit thin. I have been putting the pieces in the sun for 4 weeks! They are 92% complete at this point. The patterns are like swirly ferns. There are still a few areas left to go. I have put them in some pretty hot sun, experimented with placing them on black metal, and when I do that the tardy areas starts to bubble and fragment and seems to be acceptable, but it is still going super slow.
Is this normal? Was it too thin? Would one ever wash off the glue and start over? Weak sandblasting?
Any suggestions?
Larry White

Re: Glue-Chipping Machine

Post by Larry White »

Schofe-
If the glue is too thin, it won't have the strenghth to chip the glass. It'll probably just sit there. You can soak the glue in those areas and remove it. Touch up your asphaltum if need be, then reapply the glue over the sandblasted areas....shouldn't be a problem. I still got that glue, if ya wanna swing down and use it.

I'd watch that black metal treatment, if the glass gets too hot, or heats unevenly, it can crack...kinda like that shower door I did awhile back.

So you best get your mind right about what's got to be done.
Roderick Treece

Re: Glue-Chipping Machine

Post by Roderick Treece »

Steve,
I can see it now. Your gonna have give your customers a declaimer saying "I'll call you when it's done". I normally don't wait any longer than a day and a half to 2 days. Sounds to me like it might have been to thick. When mine is to thin it just peals up without chipping. I never put mine out in the sun for fear it will break.
I'd get back on the train and go to the end of the line to Machine.I heard they do some nice chipping down there.