Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Painting acrylic plastic

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Roderick Treece

Painting acrylic plastic

Post by Roderick Treece »

I am looking for a way to paint acrylic plastic with water based acrylic paint. I don't think this is normally done and I don't think it will adhere very well. If I abraid the surface first and then spray some thing like Bulldog on it will that help.

Roderick
erik winkler

Re: Painting acrylic plastic

Post by erik winkler »

Roderick,

I know of some artist painters who use the combination a lot.
The result is terrific! Looks so clean and powerfull in strong glossy colors.
I do not think they abraid the surface first though.
Here some examples:
Realizing we are in the 2nd renaissance of the arts.
Learn, copy and trying to improve...
Still in the learning phase ;-)
Amsterdam Netherlands
www.ferrywinkler.nl
www.schitterend.eu
www.facebook.com/Schitterend.eu
Steven Vigeant

Post by Steven Vigeant »

Rod, If you scuff it a bit then Ronan Aqua-Coat ought to stick. McClogan & Blick have it. It's basically like 1Shot in terms of thickness and coverage. Also Benjamin-Moore is making a waterbourne which is great paint similar to the Ronan.
Steve
Dan Seese

Post by Dan Seese »

Abrading the surface well ought to work.
Also, X-I-M makes a Plastic & Vinyl Bonding Primer (XIM No. 1137S). I have some in an aerosol can, but it also comes in a regular can, I believe.
The Product Description says XIM's Plastic & Vinyl Primer is an adhesion promoting primer that will adhere to a wide variety of plastics and allow painting. This bonding primer dries to a low gloss off-white color in about 10 minutes. It bonds to Acrylic, ABS, Fiberglass, Nylon, PVC, Polycarbonate, Polystyrene, Polypropylene, Polyurethane and others . . . "
There are application instructions on the can which should help ensure success.
I've also used just the XIM PRIMER SEALER BONDER - 400 Clear, and have had no problems. It sticks to just about anything.
Good luck.
Dan
"The lyf so short, the craft so long to lerne."
Geoffrey Chaucer (c. 1340 - 1400)

http://DanSeeseStudios.com
http://www.DanSeeseStudios.com/blog/
http://www.facebook.com/DanSeeseStudios
Roderick Treece

Thank's guys,
I started a test yesterday
1 with straight acrylic paint / Really good adhesion. Fine sanded the plex first.
1 with bull dog then acrylic paint /Bad adhesion

Just to let you know this is a FIX IT problem I'm working on. I came up with a design that we did last year at a shopping plaza. It looked really cool until about 2 month after installation. All the double sided blade signs hang under a trellis that drips n on the signs constantly. It would have been so bad but when it hits the frosted plex ( It's frosted on the back) the plex gos clear and look like n.The plex faces float about an 1" away from the B/GS.
My first thought was to laminate dark grey vinyl to the back which is pretty easy but it doesn't match the metallic bronze background as well as I would hope for.
Then I realized that if I could paint the back of the plex with the same paint as the backgrounds that would look the best.

I might check out XIM PRIMER SEALER BONDER - 400 Clear I wonder how the paint sticks to it?

As you can see in the photo the dark bronze sample is in the middle.The frosted acrylic panel with test spot of black on the left and the frost panel with dark grey vinyl on the right.
The issue I have on is that I like the frosted look.It's kind of pastel light bronze grey. If I paint / lam anything on it dark or light than it go's away. I might try taking the dark bronze and lighten it up with white to make a light dark bronze grey that go's with it.
One note is that all the signs have cut out Gemini letters on them. Everyones logos are deferent .The ones with alot of contrast read well ,the ones without contrast suck so maybe going lighter/dark on those will help.

*** Just did a test of lighten the color down with whit to the point that is looks like it matches!!!
Attachments
sample1.jpg
sample1.jpg (132.12 KiB) Viewed 10607 times
TypeG.jpg
TypeG.jpg (119.87 KiB) Viewed 10594 times
Mark Summers

Post by Mark Summers »

When you talk about painting on acrylic I'm thinking you should be
good to go with just 1-Shot directly. Ronan Aqua Cote (should)
be the same. Watch the static electricity. If it occurs a wet
rag on the back might neutralize the static.
In any case run a test. If it is not sticking Chromatic Ti-Cote 1010
clear gloss waterborne will do the trick. It sticks to anything. Even
dried enamel. No fumes.

Mark

also found that Ti-Cote (appears) to work on copper leaf. Two coats.
David Slade

Post by David Slade »

Roderick wrote:I am looking for a way to paint acrylic plastic with water based acrylic paint. I don't think this is normally done and I don't think it will adhere very well. If I abraid the surface first and then spray some thing like Bulldog on it will that help.

Roderick
I did it but would not do it again... I used a water based paint made by Turner with no prep on acrylic board and it did not want to stick. I just washed it real good and things went better. I figured it must be oil from my hands so I put on cotton gloves with the fingers cut off. Worked better then but coverage still was not good so I had to recoat the whole thing.
*I also had the static problem. The paint would jump over like spray. I solved the problem by putting a piece of steel plate under the plaque I was lettering.

David Slade(newbee!)
Roderick Treece

I did alot of tests and finally went with Nova Color 100% acrylic paint which is what I used on the backgrounds.It sticks great if you sand the surface first. If you don't there is NO WAY it will stick. After a day of drying I could take my finger nail and try to scratch it off but it wouldn't budge. I'm sure any acrylic paint will work.

Roderick
erik winkler

Post by erik winkler »

Roderick wrote:I did alot of tests and finally went with Nova Color 100% acrylic paint which is what I used on the backgrounds.It sticks great if you sand the surface first. If you don't there is NO WAY it will stick. After a day of drying I could take my finger nail and try to scratch it off but it wouldn't budge. I'm sure any acrylic paint will work.

Roderick
Roderick,
Did you paint the acrylic in reverse? Or just on the front side? If in reverse, did the little scratches from the sanding disapear?
What happens if you (god knows why..) bend the acrylic sheet? Will the paint pop off?

Erik
Amsterdam Netherlands
www.ferrywinkler.nl
www.schitterend.eu
Roderick Treece

The original clear face was frosted ( Sanded) on the back and the front was left with the factory finish glossy. The idea( which looked great when it was first installed) was to give the face a shadow of the background color showing through. Like I said it great when it first went up .The signs set under a trellis that drips water on the signs and then the bird - was staining the frosted back finish turning it clear where it would run down the faces.
All the scratches disappered.Bending the plex would not cause it to pop off. Acrylic paint is like rubber and bends very easy.

Roderick
erik winkler

Post by erik winkler »

Thanks for clearing that issue.
Espescially that one with the bird :wink:
Amsterdam Netherlands
www.ferrywinkler.nl
www.schitterend.eu
erik winkler

Post by erik winkler »

Thanks for clearing that issue.
Especially that one with the bird :wink:
Amsterdam Netherlands
www.ferrywinkler.nl
www.schitterend.eu
Roderick Treece

here is the newest blade sign I just installed today.

Roderick
http://www.customglasssigns.com
Attachments
Aja1.jpg
Aja1.jpg (59.91 KiB) Viewed 10119 times