Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

LA Sign Artist?

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Dave Dubé

LA Sign Artist?

Post by Dave Dubé »

I belong to the American First Day Cover Society and as such, I receive a bi-monthly journal called First Days. I opened the June issue this AM, and on page 51 is an article entitled 'Unexpected "Envelope Art" Discovery' by Michael Litvak. He found three framed groups of these envelopes in a Honda Dealership in Duarte. There are seven different envelopes depicted in the article, and the author would like to find out a little bit more about the artist if he could.

The lettering has sign artist written all over it, and there's a reference to it on one of them - BROKEN BRUSH-SIGNS.

These are all over fifty years old, so the chances that the man is still alive are - well - possible? The name on the one I've included is O'Dell. The owner of the envelopes, Mr. Lathrop Hoffman, cannot recall the first name, and the records (as well as the Studebaker automobiles which he sold) are long since gone. The address, if it doesn't show up too well, is 1037 South New Hampshire.There are a couple other return addresses among the seven: 6435 8th Ave, LA, and 16938 Elgar Avenue in Torrance. There is also a name of O'Dell Dip & Daub Studio on one of them. Anybody in the LA Area recognize the name?

Google offers no street cam in Torrance. Can someone tell me what business (if any) occupies the building at 16938 Elgar Avenue?
Attachments
HoffmanCover1S.jpg
HoffmanCover1S.jpg (193.92 KiB) Viewed 2511 times