Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Gold leaf supplier

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Gold leaf supplier

Post by Guest »

I am new at gold leafing. It is very confusing which one to buy to guild on glass.I have so far purchased loose leaf in Montreal for about 57.00 dollars Canadian per booklet. I saw some 23k gold for sale on the internet for 25.00 dollars us funds. Is that the same stuff?

Which gold should I buy for glass work and from who?

Thanks

Dan
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

Dan,
Go to this page:
http://www.theletterheads.com/supplies/index.htm

There are quite a few suppliers listed there selling Gold Leaf.

The price of gold changes with the market. Normally, it is sold as a "pack", which consists of 20 "books" of 25 "leaves". Total: 500 leaves. In US funds, I always rounded a pack at about $400 or round up to about $.80-$1.00 per leaf.

Personally, I would hesitate to buy gold leaf from an unknown source, unless I were buying a book strictly for "display" or historic purposes. The gold itself has an indefinite shelf life. In other words, it will always be gold and stay gold—but there is a chance it has been cracked, folded, or the had become damp or moist, causing the gold to stick to the sheets of tissue.

There are lots of brands of gold, and it can vary a lot from manufacturer to manufacturer. Unless you know your source, you will be taking a gamble. Lastly, you must know what you are buying. Dutch Metal looks like gold to a lot of people (novice eBay sellers), but it is not real gold. Instead of being worth about $25 per book, it is only worth $4.

Mike Jackson
Last edited by Mike Jackson on Tue Nov 09, 2004 9:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons
Jeff Lang

Post by Jeff Lang »

I do agree wit Mike about buying form an unknown source, especially like eBay where you don't get to inspect it. There are many sources at the link he supplied. I prefer Sepp Leaf in New York, they can guide you to the proper leaf to buy for your project.

Good luck,
Jeff
Jeff Lang
Olde Lang Signs
Pittsburgh, PA, USA
412-732-9999

Post by Guest »

thank you guys

Dan
Darryl Gomes

Post by Darryl Gomes »

Pete or Marj at Canadian Signcrafters Supply carry all kinds of gold too, and you won't have to worry about import duties, customs and time delay at the border. they are in Bayfield Ontario @ 1-800-663-9753 or www.signcraftersupply.com

Darryl
Darryl Gomes
Underwood Ontario