Rare Neon Sign Book for Sale

An interactive section of TheLetterheads.com

Topics include: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Off Topic Posts may be deleted at the discretion of the web hosts. ABSOLUTELY NO SHARING OF COPYRIGHTED FONTS, CLIP ART, or VIDEOS!

Please take social chit-chat elsewhere!

Moderators: Danny Baronian, Mike Jackson

Robare M. Novou

Rare Neon Sign Book for Sale

Post by Robare M. Novou » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:04 pm

Greetings One and All.
Lately, I have been doing some Spring Cleaning, (even though it's still technically "Winter") and have decide to part with a few of my extra sign books. The first one I would like to let go of is..."Luminous Advertising Sketches", by Philip Dilemme.

This is an original 1935 edition, published by Signs of the Times. And its a big one! measuring 11.5" tall x 18" long.
So big, I don't even keep it on the book shelf. There are 72 numbered pages, printed on one side only. The first 9 pages of verbiage deal with layout and electrical neon sign construction. The remaining pages show neon sign designs in simple black and white line drawings...sorry, no color pictures. This book is not in mint shape...there is damage in the form of black ink (Stazon perhaps?) staining the bottom of several pages. The staining does not creep up onto the drawings. And there are several torn pages near the end along with the index, that are missing some of the page. It's as they say, a well worn copy.

Still, if you don't have one, and you need one...then this is the book for you. It's also very rare!

It was reprinted and updated in 1953 with additional information and sketches.

And reprinted then again in 1994, with the title "American Streamline, A handbook of neon advertising design"

The reprints are smaller in size, and fit neatly on your bookshelf....this one will not!

I would like to get $300 or more for it. I was going to put it up on Ebay...but thought I should offer it here first.

So, post me your offer, or email me. If you need to see additional photos of the book, I will post them here.

Thanks for looking!

RMN
Neon Book1.jpg
Neon Book1.jpg (198.89 KiB) Viewed 1213 times
What's On Your Book Shelf ?

http://www.milwaukeesignworks.com