Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Sign Painters in North Carolina

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Aaron Cruse

Sign Painters in North Carolina

Post by Aaron Cruse »

I'm interested to know if there are any sign painters in North Carolina. If anyone has information, and wouldn't mind sending it on, I'd be delighted. Thanks!
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Re: Sign Painters in North Carolina

Post by Mike Jackson »

Hi Aaron,
Welcome to the Forum. I am sure there are lots of sign makers in North Carolina, but I don't have a name off the top of my head. You might want to find a Letterheads meeting in your region and make the trip (even if it takes a bit of a drive). Once there, you will meet a lot of people at one time. Good luck!

Mike Jackson
Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons
joe cieslowski

Post by joe cieslowski »

Here's a thread about a meet in South carolina. I know a lot of very talented painters will be there.......well worth the trip from anywhere.

http://www.letterville.com/ubb/ultimate ... 54811.html

Joe,
Makin Chip$ and Havin Fun!
Aaron Cruse

Post by Aaron Cruse »

Thank you for the welcome. By way of introduction, I am originally from North Carolina. My grandfather was a sign painter in and around Salisbury, NC. I've always had a fascination and a career centered around lettering, and have apprenticed as a sign painter in San Francisco, CA where I've lived most of my adult life. Since my family is still in North Carolina, I often wonder who is active there. Whenever I try to find information, It seems to mostly be rather generic vinyl sign companies, and if I see hand painted signs, they seem to be quite old. So I guess my query is two-fold: One, just a curiosity about any North Carolina sign painting history... and Two, if there are any sign painters actively working there who might like to some day meet. I hope you can forgive my rather brief original post as I am a little shy about putting too much out on the web for any schmo to find!
Aaron Cruse

Post by Aaron Cruse »

Well, I haven't turned-up anything here, but I did find one person in New Bern , NC who paints boat transoms. Joe, I think I have to log-in to see the link you provided... Would really love to hear about/from any sign people in the Blue Ridge Mountains area.
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

Aaron,
If you are truly serious about meeting other sign people in your region and learning the craft, make sure to get to Laurens, SC on April 16-18. Contact Donald Thompson at #1 Sign Designs. 864-682-7810

Just a bit of history for you, many of us have traveled all across the country to go to Letterheads meetings. I mean...coast to coast and across national borders. If you can drive to Laurens from your town, DO IT! For all practical purposes, it is in your back yard. You'll meet a lot of great people at one time and make life long connections.

Mike Jackson
Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons
Setzer

Post by Setzer »

Hi Aaron, my name is Paul Setzer and I own and operate a small sign shop in the foothills of NC, Newton. You can find me in the yellow pages, or on the web, as Setzer's Signs. I still hand paint signs and do a lot of vinyl too. I always joke with clients that if the power went out I could still be painting signs! I've been doing it since 1992. A lot of the older sign painters in my area have passed away. If you'd ever want to here some names and stories get in touch with me.
Rick Sacks

Post by Rick Sacks »

Timi Barrow near Winston Salem
Mendocino, California
"Where the redwoods meet the Sea"