Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Mirroring question

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

cam bortz

Mirroring question

Post by cam bortz »

A customer came to me with a couple of sandblasted glass pieces from an antique popcorn machine. He has someone to do the mirroring, and wants me to letter the glass, in reverse, to be mirrored over. My concern is whether the paint would survive the mirroring process. Can someone enlighten me on this? It has been my understanding that the mirroring is done first, and the areas to be lettered are then stripped to bare glass.
Larry White

Re: Mirroring question

Post by Larry White »

You can put a fine line of asphaltum varnish around the entire inscription, then block in the whole inscription with asphaltum. It should then be okay to silver over.

Perhaps you should do the silvering yourself. If others are going to do the silvering, I'd employ the "not responsible if" clause.

Of course, it is better to do it the other way of silvering first.

-Larry