Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Tarnishing???

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Aaron Taylor

Tarnishing???

Post by Aaron Taylor »

Hi all I had a Tarnishing problem and thought I would post it here for some advise. I have a glass piece that I have been working on in my free time and I pulled it out the other day to find out that it had tarnished pretty bad. It is a chipped piece that was chemically silvered with spray silver. It went on great and looked perfect when I applied the silver. After deposition I let it air dry and backed up with a mixture of asphaltum and fast size (rolcol). Could the rolcol fast size have impurities in it that caused the tarnishing? I all so coated it out with clear shelac after the asphaltum was dry. I was sure that it was very dry after silvering and before back up. The day that I silvered it, it was very humid here (I remember the concrete floor was sweating) Could that have been the cause?

I thought that you guys would have some good advise for me. Thanks for any answers.

-at
Aaron
Brix Design
Danny Baronian
Site Admin

Re: Tarnishing???

Post by Danny Baronian »

Hi Aaron,

the asphaltum and shellac is not the problem, the roloco probably is. I think someone had a similar problem with 1shop Fast Size, but not positive. I doubt you have any roloco old enough to contain lead, but that's most likely the source of contamination.

Asphaltum, mirror back up paint, clear lacquer or shellac would eliminate the problem.
Danny Baronian
Baronian Mfg.
CNC Routing & Fabrication
http://www.baronian.com
Kent Smith

Post by Kent Smith »

could also be sulphur in mineral spirits if used as reducer, brush cleaner etc.

too much tin also gives a dark, tanish like appearance.
Aaron Taylor

Post by Aaron Taylor »

Thanks guys, I did use Turps for the reducer for the asphaltum/size mixture, turps is more pure than mineral spirits right? I also use the right amount of tin as called for and rinsed very well before silvering.

Would Permalic have sulfur in it? I do have some of that as well.

Thanks
-at
Aaron
Brix Design