Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

painting on awnings

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

yvette rutledge

painting on awnings

Post by yvette rutledge »

Help! What can you use to hand letter on vinyl awnings? We used to get a pretreated enamel-receptive banner material so we could letter with one shot directly on the surface, but they don't make it any more. Are there some vinyl inks or paints that can be used directly without primers? We have a local awning company asking me to letter on their presewn vinyl awnings, so changing the material is not an option.
Mark Summers

Re: painting on awnings

Post by Mark Summers »

Yvette,
Vinyl inks do the trick for lettering on vinyl awnings. It's been
awhile since I ordered vinyl inks though. I seem to recall they
are pretty smelly. You might try multi-purpose inks also.
I would get a sample of vinyl from your awning people and
do a sample. If you have a sign supplier close by you might
Q-tip some ink onto the sample.

Mark
David Harding

Re: painting on awnings

Post by David Harding »

Yvette,

Get the sample and try some 100% acrylic paint such as Sherwin-Williams SuperPaint or A-100 or something similar. We letter many Sunbrella awnings using high performance vinyl as mask. The paint adheres tenaciously to the vinyl mask. It might to the awing material. You could also try TiCote, a primer developed by Steve Berman at Chromatic to make vinyls enamel receptive.
David M. Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX
www.asignx.com