Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Chipping question

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Jerry Berg

Chipping question

Post by Jerry Berg »

I just did some chipping. I usually use the asphaltum method when there is fine detail.
There was some fine details on this piece in question and I kind of jumped the gun and
used the mask method. Everything turned out well except for a few areas where I got
some plinks. There will be no hiding them... Unless.... I thought maybe I could forget the
bright outline and gild as usual, back up only what was supposed to be, remove excess gold,
then brush right up to the edge of the chipped area with an outline thus covering the plinks.

Does this sound like something that will work out for me? Will the chipped letters look good without
a bright outline? The plinks are very little but around the detail they appear more obvious.

Thanks,
Jerry
DAVE SMITH

Re: Chipping question

Post by DAVE SMITH »

I have had this problem before Jerry,can you change the design in anyway? I was able to add a scroll here and there with mica acid that worked well but if your design is a logo then you may not be able to. It still looks ok without a brightline but better with one.
Dave
Jerry Berg

Post by Jerry Berg »

Thanks Dave,

I believe I was being a bit too critical. After looking again this morning it is rather
hard to notice. I will go ahead with the bright outline as planned and live with it.
Larry White

Post by Larry White »

True, the asphaltum method may have worked better, but it too can wind up with minor defects here and there.

I'd probably go ahead with the gilded brightline, and write off the plinks as "character".

Things like that stand out at the stage in which you do them, but as the whole thing gets finished, those defects are greatly diminished.

Things happen with glass...let's say it's something we didn't expect.
Soon the little plinks won't be a problem...and the glass will be finished.

-Aho!
Jerry Berg

Post by Jerry Berg »

Good words Larry. I tend to try an get things too perfect sometimes... watching others here with thier amazing work.

Aho!