Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Glass cutting shops in the old Austrian empire.

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

erik winkler

Glass cutting shops in the old Austrian empire.

Post by erik winkler »

During my research about glasscutting I learned that the dominant region of glasscutting and engraving for the last few centuries was in Bavaria, Austria and Bohemia.
The art of larger flat glasscutting is evolved by the English and this is seen in the terrific work of the British Public places.
The continental craft was primarely done on handheld pieces of glass: Vases, drinking glasses etc.

Like in England (and everywhere else) the trade went in a downfall after the possibilities of massproduction of all sorts of other kinds of glassware.
In Germany this meant that a lot of machines were for sale and still are.....
Spatzier is one of the brands to have for small work, they made some nice steady machines for engraving and for cutting glass.
Hisglassworks from the USA sells these old refurbished machines through an Austrian channel.
This Austrian man buys these machines from glass cutting shops who close their doors after retirement and resell them to the new generation.

When I was on my cycling trip through the Alps I was eager to find some of these machines and noticed that there were still some glass shops on my route.
I visited one or two of them and talked for hours with the master at work.
Here a photo of a nice friendly man who still used his Spatzier engraving machine AND his Spatzier cutting machine.
On the photo he is standing in front of his cutting machine, which clearly shows the learned eye that with these wheels (and machine) you can not cut large panels.
Austrian glass shop.jpg
Austrian glass shop.jpg (67.49 KiB) Viewed 1868 times
He showed and told me his work was more fusing then cutting and engraving.
And when he uses his cutting machine it was primarely for polishing.

Engraving was too time consuming and I regretly heared him say that nowadays he used his sandblast booth to get the matt-stipple-entaglio-engraving effect. Using handcut vinyl masks.

Later on when passing through Innsbruck, I noticed another glass shop, peeked inside and there stood another Spatzier engraving machine.
Unfortunatly the shop was closed so I just could make one picture of the hardware smiling at me.
Glass shop in Innsbruck.jpg
Glass shop in Innsbruck.jpg (54.89 KiB) Viewed 1863 times
Erik
Realizing we are in the 2nd renaissance of the arts.
Learn, copy and trying to improve...
Still in the learning phase ;-)
Amsterdam Netherlands
www.ferrywinkler.nl
www.schitterend.eu
www.facebook.com/Schitterend.eu
Anthony Bennett

Re: Glass cutting shops in the old Austrian empire.

Post by Anthony Bennett »

Thanks for sharing this Eric.