Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Brillant Carving set up for sale.

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Roderick Treece

Brillant Carving set up for sale.

Post by Roderick Treece »

To bad it's so far away. I'd buy it.
http://springfieldil.craigslist.org/tls/1917531867.html
Anthony Bennett

Re: Brillant Carving set up for sale.

Post by Anthony Bennett »

Ditto
erik winkler

Post by erik winkler »

I do not know if you can cut large pieces of glass with that.
Maybe a maximum size of 25 inches wide x 25 inches heigh.

But what do I know?...
Realizing we are in the 2nd renaissance of the arts.
Learn, copy and trying to improve...
Still in the learning phase ;-)
Amsterdam Netherlands
www.ferrywinkler.nl
www.schitterend.eu
www.facebook.com/Schitterend.eu
Patrick Mackle

Post by Patrick Mackle »

That set up looks more like it was used for glassware or engraving star bursts on small bevels. Probably also why there are so few wheels.
Pat
Roderick Treece

Post by Roderick Treece »

I may be able to get this for the price of crating shipping 1000.00. Anybody think it's worth it?
erik winkler

Post by erik winkler »

I have seriuous doubts......
But if there is nothing else to get there, how is your friend pat doing with his brilliant cutting rig?
Maybe he can help you out here and give you/us some advise.

Erik
Realizing we are in the 2nd renaissance of the arts.
Learn, copy and trying to improve...
Still in the learning phase ;-)
Amsterdam Netherlands
www.ferrywinkler.nl
www.schitterend.eu
www.facebook.com/Schitterend.eu
Ingrid Mager

Post by Ingrid Mager »

My question is, how small a wheel can be put on it and still clear the fairly large looking bearings.

1) In fact, looking at Rich Samsel's cutting lathe as well as Pat's, I have the same question, and have had for awhile, regarding their respective setups. Rich tells me that despite the trade-offs, he does like the small wheels (cost+tight curves) he can use with this type of lathe (as opposed to Stuart Norton type of lathe), but I don't rightfully see how the glass clears the bearing housing when using small wheels. It can't from what I can figure.
RIch Samsel at cutting lathe.jpg
RIch Samsel at cutting lathe.jpg (41.51 KiB) Viewed 4874 times
2) Also, (and this is not in respect to any particular machine) not being very mechanically minded, I would like to understand the physics of what holds the shaft in place. Is it simply the belt drive that keeps it locked in place, when coupled by the stationary bearings not allowing it to move against the opposite axis?

~Inga
Last edited by Ingrid Mager on Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:36 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Ingrid Mager

Post by Ingrid Mager »

Being able to actually see Dave's equipment on his new (lovely!!!) film has helped to answer a lot of questions that I have had.
The thing that has made me continually perplexed is that Rich Samsel once told me that he can use smaller (therefore less expensive, when it comes to diamond composition) wheels than you can use on the Norton and Smith type of machine and I just don't really see that.

It looks to me like this Craigs List machine can only work on small pieces of glass unless the wheel is larger than about 6-7". If I am right (???), that would make for about a 1.5+" diameter punty (at 1/8" depth)...or something like that.....Hmmmmm.......that may be a bit large if that is the smallest punty it can go..... :?:

Maybe I am wanting to think that a smaller wheels is neccessary for certain things than I thought, as I now can see that Dave seems to have lots of rather large wheels on his wall. Still, doesn't the diameter of the wheel correspond directly to the tightness/curvature of the cut that can reasonably be made with it?

~Inga
Ingrid Mager

Post by Ingrid Mager »

Aaahhhhh....."babbit" bearings with pressure fed grease pots to keep them from burning up. Hey, I'm just a girlie-girl. You guys seem to come out of the womb knowing all this stuff.

~Inga
Attachments
babbitt bearings.jpg
babbitt bearings.jpg (67.13 KiB) Viewed 4745 times