Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

off topic- lasers

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Patrick Mackle

off topic- lasers

Post by Patrick Mackle »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0oM66jfaJ4
I just watched this laser product on YouTube.
I added a post that said I would only want the safety goggles because I already damaged one eye thanks to someone "having fun" in a garage with his laser.
Now when I walk into a darkened room my eye feels the size of a basket ball, and the room is darker in that eye than it is in my undamaged eye.
My post was immediately DELETED by the moderator. But all the "Cool- gotta have it" and "I'm gonna buy one if I don't win one!" posts are left to view.
I guess we have to get rid of dangerous things (like asphaltum "lol") but we can sell something to God knows who at what age that can remove your eyesight from an overpass, in a theater, or though a window from across the street.
Makes me wanna build a rocket and find a new planet- I wonder if RayBan makes biker style laserproof shades?? 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
One-eyed Pat

Ten minutes later:

I just had a Revelation! If we ALL buy lasers it would be the perfect way to halt police chases in our cities. If all of the people who love to watch them on TV could leap off their sofas run to the curb and laser blind the car chase perpetrator. Kind of like in that Clint Eastwood movie "The Gauntlet". (there's a cure for everything!)
Last edited by Patrick Mackle on Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Larry White

Re: off topic- lasers

Post by Larry White »

I'll build you a rocket....

...if I can tag along!

-Aho!

Patrick Mackle

Post by Patrick Mackle »

Build a rocket... you?? What, out of wood and beaver pelts?
Pat
Aaron Taylor

Post by Aaron Taylor »

Let me get onboard of that there rocket! hey hey lets go!
Aaron
Brix Design
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

Hi Pat,
I don't think it is far off topic at all. At one of the conclaves, a lot of us were playing around with the consumer grade pointers and having fun. These new industrial versions must be a lot more dangerous. I saw a story on TV just a few days ago where a kid managed to get one off the popular auction site and ended up damaging his eyes. A little real life warnings are often good for us.

Take care,
Mike Jackson
Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons
Patrick Mackle

Post by Patrick Mackle »

Mike,
I'm pleased you share my thought that such a message be shared on this site, as we all depend on our eye sight in our craft as well as daily life.
It is important to teach those less experienced as well as younger ones that a laser in someone's hand should be treated much as a fire arm.
You should immediately leave the area and alert an adult.
It just goes to show how some people will ignore the common good for quick riches. Fate dictates that even this guy's loved ones may suffer a blinding injury by his own ignorance. I really find it hard to believe that these can be marketed to the general public.
No telling how many pets may be injured as well, chasing a intense beam around the house. It should be noted that the beam from this particular high powered laser is BLUE in color, not the usual red found in the lower powered "laser pointers".
Get a load of what this product is about: http://www.crunchgear.com/2010/06/10/wi ... all-comers
Pat