Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

one shot on leather

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Lorne Presniak

one shot on leather

Post by Lorne Presniak »

Letering one shot on leather footballs is not drying like it used to. I am wipeing first with isopropyl alchohol then adding a few drops of japan dryer to small amount of paint in dixie cup, then palletting out with a bit of endura thinner. It used to work a few years ago, now it does not dry even overnight where it used to dry in a couple of hours. Any ideas out that I may try.........might save me wrecking $75.00 footballs.

Lorne
Jeff Lang

Re: one shot on leather

Post by Jeff Lang »

Lorne,
When we lettered basketballs for the local school, many times the oneshot would not dry at all. Our solution was coating with a clear water based sealer, specifically ti-coat by Chromatic. The material that some of the basketballs were made of would continually off gas, not allowing the solvents to completely evaporate from the oneshot. Once the barrier was applied, no problem.
Good luck,
Jeff
Jeff Lang
Olde Lang Signs
Pittsburgh, PA, USA
412-732-9999
Lorne Presniak

Post by Lorne Presniak »

Awesome, thanks Jeff, I will try it..

Lorne
Robare M. Novou

Post by Robare M. Novou »

In a 2008 Sign Business Magazine Article, Steve Vigeant explains some of the properties of Oil Based Lettering Enamel.

Old Formulation Versus New Formulation, here is an excerpt...

"Years ago I attended a Letterhead meet where a row of sign-painters were painting their signatures and logos on a step van. It had been awhile since I’d watched a real sign painter in action, so I asked, “Do you guys use any of the recommended reducers like low or high temp?”
“No, we just use paint thinner. You don’t need any of those fancy additives. They just cost more, but you don’t really need them.”

I liked that answer, and followed the advice for a long time, but then I saw how faded their lettering eventually became and I assumed there might be a connection. The 1 Shot Web site says it clearly, “Never use paint thinner as an additive.” Kent Smith has more details to offer on the same theme. He states, “Do not use turpentine, mineral spirits, linseed oil, kerosene or other olde tyme thinners in the current formula enamels as they are no longer compatible.” In general, any time you alter paint by thinning it, you weaken the binders, and the paint film will not be able to knit together properly.

Oil paints and enamels used to be rather adaptable to numerous traditional additives such as linseed oil and kerosene, which retards the drying time on the one hand, and Japan dryer and naphtha, which accelerates the dry time on the other. The formulations changed just about the time I was getting a handle on the traditional ways. The use and availability of flow agents like Chromaflo, Edge thinner and Penetrol are beyond my scope at this time, and I’m afraid my almost depleted can of Edge might be the end of the line for these products, which seem to be a favorite of pinstripers. The 1 Shot Web site is only listing its three reducers, which act as flow enhancers for specific temperatures. It also seems that the new 1 Shot is drying much slower than in the past and that its 4007 hardener has become a necessity to ensure that the paint will dry overnight in my un-insulated shop. Chromatic Bulletin naturally dries more quickly, but doesn’t weather as well. Of course, a clear-coat will increase the life of the paint dramatically."

Kent Smith should chime in on this topic for any updates or more specifics if needed...ya listening Kent?

RMN
What's On Your Book Shelf ?

http://www.milwaukeesignworks.com
BruceJackson

Post by BruceJackson »

I would suspect that there might be wax on the leather.

Wax will migrate into the paint seriously retarding the drying time.

------

Oops, I just re-read your post and your already stated that you cleaned the ball with alcohol. I would have thought that would do the trick.
Jim Moser

Post by Jim Moser »

I have had drying problems with One Shot on vinyl and leather, however I recently used OS on a vinyl tire cover after coating it with Chromatic Ti-Coat with good results. I have also used House of Kolor urethane striping paint on a leather jacket.... dries in minutes ! I don't know what airbrush guys like Jurek use on leather, but I think it is some sort of water base acrylic....
Life is much too important to be taken seriously
erik winkler

Post by erik winkler »

Yes
Last edited by erik winkler on Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Realizing we are in the 2nd renaissance of the arts.
Learn, copy and trying to improve...
Still in the learning phase ;-)
Amsterdam Netherlands
www.ferrywinkler.nl
www.schitterend.eu
www.facebook.com/Schitterend.eu
Patrick Mackle

Post by Patrick Mackle »

I made some custom rocker guitar straps with Bauhaus designs sand blasted and painted with the resist in place. I used water based white semi gloss house paint. Worked great. The sandblasting roughed up the leather and the paint fused right into the texture.
Pat
BruceJackson

Post by BruceJackson »

I just remembered, one of the local paint manufacturers started making a paint for taut liners. It's water based, but is very different from the usual acrylic paints. Dries glossy. Viponds' Taut-flex....I'm sure there are similar products available elsewhere.

It sticks like nothing else to vinyl and leather. You can even use it to change the colour of furniture. Doesn't wear off either.

I painted a leather jacket with it for a fancy dress party...sprayed it on...worked brilliantly and you would never guess it was painted.
Lorne Presniak

Post by Lorne Presniak »

Thanks to all, I have been experimenting and a few things look like they may work fine. I still want to be able to letter with One Shot enamel paints on the leather as Ithink that looks the best.
erik winkler

Post by erik winkler »

Seems I have wasted my time.
Realizing we are in the 2nd renaissance of the arts.
Learn, copy and trying to improve...
Still in the learning phase ;-)
Amsterdam Netherlands
www.ferrywinkler.nl
www.schitterend.eu
www.facebook.com/Schitterend.eu
Anthony Bennett

Post by Anthony Bennett »

Bruce, that tautflex looks very interesting. I don't know of a UK alternative so I emailed Viponds to ask if they have a UK distributer I can buy some from to try.
Did you happen to try it for hand lettering on glass or vinyl at all please?
BruceJackson

Post by BruceJackson »

Anthony, it works in the brush, but it's a thin paint and flows a bit too easily. Doesn't have any build. It's probably more of a stain than a true paint.

I haven't tried it on glass, only vinyl and leather, but I just smeared some on to see what it does. It doesn't bead up (I thought it might) so that looks promising. You can see through it though...not much opacity.

I don't imagine it will stick very well on glass, but I'll test it when it's dry.