Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

One-Shot Hear=ye, hear-ye!!

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Patrick Mackle

One-Shot Hear=ye, hear-ye!!

Post by Patrick Mackle »

Hear-ye Hear-ye. I have become so disgruntled with some products lately, and One-Shot is one of them.
Some colors like Black take forever to dry.
Most no longer stick to glass or sandblasted surfaces as well as they used to, usually pulling up with the mask in the direction of the pull. (I could kill-kill!!!)
I have spoken to Spraylat several times and they say nothing is different, but I can no longer look at disasters and think they are normal.
I asked them what I can thin their paint with so that I can spray it. I used to use Naptha just fine, BUT they freaked and said ONLY use their reducer. (no luck there, still peeled up, maybe even worse)

I desperation in my very last big sand blast and color fill job after pulling off the paint with the mask I went to my paint shelf and looked for solutions.
I found a can of NAZ-DAR 59000 series Enamel Plus (it was #59140 Overprint Clear to be exact.)
I remembered that I had used it on a previous job and it worked very well. So I added it to the One-Shot on this job (second go around) and it solved my problems.
I found that adding the Naz-Dar greatly improves the texture/flow, drying time (significantly!) and MOST OF ALL, the adhesion properties of the One-Shot.
AND, I can thin a mixture of One-Shot and Naz-Dar 59140 with plenty of Naptha without killing the quality of the paint.
Finally, this mixture provided a good clean separation on the critical edge where you want the paint to remain while the rest is removed with the mask.
Now, I can't ever see myself using One-Shot without adding the Naz-Dar, it improved it that much.
Just like the asphaltum post that I made about hoarding oil base asphaltum, I intend to stock up on several gallons of this overprint clear.

If people try this and think it works as well as I have stated, I might get some positive feed back. If Spraylat hears this and looks into a similar chemistry as the Naz-Dar, maybe their product will return to what we are used to expecting. All it will cost you is one quart of Naz-Dar ti find out.
Pat
Leo Calleros

Re: One-Shot Hear=ye, hear-ye!!

Post by Leo Calleros »

One shot black blows in general now. Last 2 quarts I have bought, it seems thick, almost jelly-like. Anyway, thanks for the heads up on that trick, will have to give it a shot.
Bill Masters

Post by Bill Masters »

I have never been a fan of no-shot, I have been using Ronan Bulletin colors since the early 1980's.
I hope big brother isn't listening but they still have lead in them.
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

Hi Bill,
I started out using Ronan as that was the only brand of lettering enamels available at Neo Sign Supply in Oklahoma City. I switched to Chromatic when Steve Burman started supporting Letterhead events and later to OneShot when we moved up here and when Steve sold Chromatic. Ronan was a good paint, but I always felt the white was quite gray and not as close as pure white as Chromatic and OneShot. When Pat made his post, Ronan paints was my first thought. It might be a good option if OneShot continues to deteriorate the old trusted formulas.

Cheers,
Mike Jackson
Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons
Doug Bernhardt

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

I've been pondering this post since I first saw it. A year or so ago a friend was "unloading" some art supplies he hadn't used in years and had quite a few pint cans of one shot in there (15 or so years old). The difference in weight alone spoke volumes. You could use the can of white in a weight training program. I haven't cracked any of them as I know what I'll find....a good workable paint with a black that dries in a couple of hours rather than a day. As of the past few years I've been adding a little of their hardener to the mix and always wonered why I should even have to....it is certainly more dangerous than the lead content. Am sure new laws regarding VOC's etc have alot to do with this as many products I'd come to rely on are no longer reliable....cetol to name another. I could type away for hours on all the testing and related results here but the supper bell calls. Looking forward to more comments.
Robare M. Novou

Post by Robare M. Novou »

Just wondering if the NO LEAD content of lettering paint is confined to American Manufacturers, or is it a world wide ban.
If I remember correctly, China still uses leaded paint.

Hey Doug! This post is for you buddy....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_the_Headless_Chicken

RMN
What's On Your Book Shelf ?

http://www.milwaukeesignworks.com
David Slade

Post by David Slade »

They sell lead powdered pigment and paints in Japan. Holbein makes both labeled as Silver White in English but 白鉛(white lead) in Japanese. I can send some but no guarantees whether it would get through to you... I am not rich yet so I would need the shipping cost and cost of the stuff. Happy to do it tho :D

Next time I am out I will pick up some of the powder and give you some more info on it.
The stats on the paint are here:
http://www.holbein-works.co.jp/static/c ... white.html

check the 鉛 2PbCO3・PB(OH)2)in silver white(second on the list)

ALONG THIS VEIN, there are some natural resin varnishes and paints over here that are similar to urushi but they are compatible with oil based paints. They are heavy bodied and dry very glossy and hard as rock. They work with turps and have held up well on the glass work I have done. I have suspected this is the type "Japan" the old timers in the books were using however they are glossier and tougher than my image of Japan paint... Lacquer thinner curdles them so they ain't lacquer.
Maybe an authority like Kent Smith would like to get some for testing...

Anyone interested in this stuff feel free to PM me :D
erik winkler

Post by erik winkler »

What would happen if we put leadoxide in the current One Shot paint ourselves?
Would it be a paint that has its old good properties?

Pat, do you have some detail photo's of the results you made with the paint mixture in deepcarved glass?
I am very interested in how it looks like.

Erik
Realizing we are in the 2nd renaissance of the arts.
Learn, copy and trying to improve...
Still in the learning phase ;-)
Amsterdam Netherlands
www.ferrywinkler.nl
www.schitterend.eu
www.facebook.com/Schitterend.eu
BruceJackson

Post by BruceJackson »

I think the fuss made over the lack of lead is a little overdone.

Australia dropped lead in paints many years ago...I haven't used a lead paint for maybe 15 years. Honestly, it's no big deal.

Sure, the yellows and oranges don't cover as well....so just do another coat..it won't kill you.

...after all, I sometimes hold the brush in my mouth when I need my hands free (don't you?), so I for one am quite happy to live without the threat of slow lead poisoning. It's only a sign, and not worth costing my health or my kids' health.
Patrick Mackle

Post by Patrick Mackle »

I have been asked about ratios and how to mix One Shot with the NazDar overclear.
First I think that the latitude of ratios is very wide without degrading the outcome. (go figure)
I almost think of using the overclear in OneShot as BETTER than using the OneShot Hardener. In fact i think I have given up using their Hardener completely!
Personally I have screened or sprayed nearly 100% overclear but added some 59000 trans colors AND also 3-5% OneShot to give a slight obscurity fog of solid pigment to the
finished product of etched glass signs (kicked "arse" and VERY durable in high traffic/high finger touching area.)
On the other end, I have added 10-15% overclear to mixed OneShot tones for spraying and I discovered that it prevents the thinned OneShot from thinning and flowing into micro low spots (as in those micro peaks and valleys made by sand grit in the pitting seen in fine sandblasted textures) resulting in needing more coats.
The mixtures seem to be fine being thinned with either Naptha or Mineral Spirits or both. Drying times of OneShot appear to be greatly improved, also eliminates that LONG TIME tender/tackey time span where you find yourself constantly returning to give the paint a finger test only to swear at the resultant finger smudge!!
So far I'm sold, for myself this discovery is as good as gold- until at least another curve is thrown.
I really hope for some other people's feed back. I know this has lightened my furiously angered shop tantrums :oops: (lol)
PS: Well, how many times do YOU like to RE-DO jobs or soak off paint on a depth sand carved panel- pretty much kills the profit and your brain.
Resting easier, 8)
Pat
Doug Bernhardt

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

....again have read everything and Bruce's comments are well worth noting. In the not too distant past apprentices were charged with loading all the paint with lead powder. This was related to me by one of the men I apprenticed to. I'm sure I also would be extremely wary of using the powder as was the past practice. If I had the time I'd relate the story Boss Glawson told me about how it is manufactured....pretty gruesome. For me I'm going to look into finding Rona paints in Canada and see what it takes to give it a good try out. Thanx (I think?) for the link to Mike the headless chicken Rob.....I'm still scratching mine which I still thankfully have!!