Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

The making of sheet glass

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

erik winkler

The making of sheet glass

Post by erik winkler »

I do not know if my efforts are appreciated, since my posts do not get a lot of response.
But here is another little treasure I found: Making of sheet glass
It is a movie of the main European supplier of sheet glass.
The factory is german based, they supply glass for Stained Glass workshops and glass fitters who do restauration work of old houses.
The factory is called Lambert Glashutte; glashutte means glass-hut, since in the old day all the glasfactories in the Bohemian empire were based in little wooden sheds called huts.
Ofcourse the housing was quickly improved, but still remained there name hutte. This factory also makes the double- or multiplecolored überfangglass, which we could use when sandblasting or acid etching.

Erik

ps. our Dave is sick, has an infection.
Seems to be doing fine now.
Good health to you Dave.
Realizing we are in the 2nd renaissance of the arts.
Learn, copy and trying to improve...
Still in the learning phase ;-)
Amsterdam Netherlands
www.ferrywinkler.nl
www.schitterend.eu
www.facebook.com/Schitterend.eu
Patrick Mackle

Re: The making of sheet glass

Post by Patrick Mackle »

Erik,
I like your videos about glass, you just have to remember that this is a hand lettering forum and only a fairly small percentage have embraced or fervently practice the addition of glass embossing and decorating. Maybe some are not interested. Maybe they have not currently worked it into the services they provide. More may eventually be drawn in with the allure presented by your informative posts. Don't lose your enthusiasm for searching and sharing your finds.
You remind me of Rick Glawson in his early days, when we would talk about little jewels of information he would find mention of in old books. He was always eager to share his time spreading what he had found. Now that he is gone, it is his legacy. Daddy Finegold.
Carry on the tradition.
Pat
Robare M. Novou

Post by Robare M. Novou »

Erik, We all appreciate your posts. Don't think that we don't.

You have some of the more interesting and educational posts on this site.

I for one have learned a lot by your postings.

Without you postings, we'd be less informed.

So please Erik, Keep up the brilliant posting!

And Thanks!

RMN
What's On Your Book Shelf ?

http://www.milwaukeesignworks.com
Robare M. Novou

Here is a link to the KOKOMO Glass factory in Kokomo, Indiana, USA.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nK0SmhhKMVg

After watching this video, you can view other glass making videos that are listed on the right side of the screen.

Of some of the Stained Glass Studios here in Milwaukee, a few of them drive directly to Kokomo to pick up crates of glass for their pending projects.

Someday, I will sandblast some of that Ruby Red over clear glass...

RMN

Robare M. Novou

Here a glass making video for Doug B., and the rest of you all if you are interested.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-k_IQQG ... re=related

RMN

erik winkler

Post by erik winkler »

Ok that is good to hear, sometimes I feellike talking to a wall.
Sandblasting some of that Ruby Red over clear glass should make beautifull things.
When I was in Belgium I found a location where they sold hundreds of 1900's multytoned white etched panels.
In that "junkyard" I also saw some stained glass door panels wich contained some of that Ruby Red over clear glass but then gluechipped!! Looked amazing, a bit kinky/tacky, but in another atmosphere it may look very good.

Erik et Fils
Amsterdam Netherlands
www.ferrywinkler.nl
www.schitterend.eu
Roderick Treece

Post by Roderick Treece »

Winky,
Excusze my Dutch but
"Un derr gringo's er always happi wehn u post !

Danka

Great video by the way.
Jerry Berg

Post by Jerry Berg »

I recently had to turn a job down because I could not find a supplier of the ruby red on clear glass.
If anyone knows of its availability anywhere here in the U.S. I'd like that info.

Keep posting Erik,
Jerry
erik winkler

Post by erik winkler »

Amsterdam Netherlands
www.ferrywinkler.nl
www.schitterend.eu
Roderick Treece

Post by Roderick Treece »

Jerry,
What size do you need . I can have it made for you. I have two sources. One is right next door to me and the other about five minute away.
Patrick Mackle

Post by Patrick Mackle »

Jerry,
Did you try C&R Loo in California? www.crloo.com
EXACT PAGE: http://www.crloo.com/Products/Sheet_Gla ... clear.html
I also pointed Rick here for SMALT GLASS years ago. A good source for "glassies".
Pat
Jerry Berg

Post by Jerry Berg »

Thanks everyone for the responses.

Pat, I tried CR Loo. They had some but not the nice ruby red. The closest color was an off pink. They said that this type of glass was made in France known as flashed glass, and had not been manufactured in years. The Germans also made this for a short period. They could only sell any remaining smaller pieces that they had left in stock.

As of now I don't need it at this time. I will mention to the client that I have found a supplier and maybe they will still be in need. It was for a restoraton piece, Simple letters blasted past the colored glass to reveal white letters.

Rod, I'll get a hold of you on this, Thanks. I know how it is made and it takes a bit to do it.
Patrick Mackle

Post by Patrick Mackle »

Jerry,
Contact Dave Smith, he mentioned to me that he had a viable source for flashed glass over there.
Well, now I am curious, because ALL the Stateside sources I used to use have stopped importing.
I now would like to know if I could possibly order a crate from the German or French manufacturer.
If there was enough need Stateside, I might entertain building a setup to blow some in red, blue, and black to begin with.
Eventually I will probably have a hot shop, BECAUSE I'm friggin' nutz!! :!:
Pat
Jeff Lang

Post by Jeff Lang »

Jerry,
I bet this is too far away, but I have purchased ruby flash glass a few years back from http://www.rainbowartglass.com/ in New Jersey & they had a great selection. The informed me there was only one place left manufacturing it for disrtibution, and they were located in France I think. I was talking to pat about this particular job, & he had referred me to CR Loo as well, but the shipping to this side of the country (PA) would have been cost prohibitive. They carried large sheets which is what I was looking for with this project & I couldn't have been happier with the glass, color, service.
I happen to have a little leftover if you run out of sources.
Let me know.
Jeff
Jeff Lang
Olde Lang Signs
Pittsburgh, PA, USA
412-732-9999
erik winkler

Post by erik winkler »

I did not know that it was not available in the states anymore.
Here is a Dutch/German suplier http://www.pfann.nl/index.php?option=co ... 54&lang=en

I will go there next week for a free workshop on how to glue Big glass sheets with an silicone glue.
(Remember that three years ago I wanted to know if it would be possible to glue chipped or mica etched glass together without getting bubbles in the reliëf)

If anybody wants, I can look for the French factory.

Erik
Amsterdam Netherlands
www.ferrywinkler.nl
www.schitterend.eu
Patrick Mackle

Post by Patrick Mackle »

Erik,
I would like to know any sources you find for flashed glass, especially red on clear. And I would like it in fairly large sheets to be used in door panels.
In the 70's and 80's I used to buy it in fairly small sizes from Hollander's Glass in Stanton, Ca. but they became discontent with their supplier whom they told me today was Schott glass.
Flashed glass was made in two ways, one is the hand blown which has seeds (long sharp bubbles) and layer of color that is thicker at one end and thinner at the other (due to the stretching of the color layer as it is blown out. The other method is made by machine (machine made flash) which is much more even in it's layer of colored glass.
Machine made flashed glass is much better for acid etching because you can time the etching to eat away at the design in graduated steps which then allows you to get different shades of red in the image. A VERY nice look indeed as compared to only etching directly through to the clear of base color.
Hope you ferret out a good source,
let me know.
Pat

I will post an example of early acid etched ruby flash circa late 1800's. (you will notice areas where the resist floated off the glass, leaving breaks in the image.
There panels are 52" tall. Nice big panels.
Attachments
CccIMG0068.jpg
CccIMG0068.jpg (86.44 KiB) Viewed 10129 times
CccIMG0066.jpg
CccIMG0066.jpg (63.11 KiB) Viewed 10123 times
Anthony Bennett

Post by Anthony Bennett »

Nice work, less worried about safety back then.