Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Looking for Hydrofluoric Acid

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Billie DeBekker

Looking for Hydrofluoric Acid

Post by Billie DeBekker »

Time to take the next step with glass. Can someone direct me to a source for the acid.. I tried Google and all I get is Janitorial supplies and the few I called had no idea. Thank You and Merry Christmas in advance.
Jerry Berg

Re: Looking for Hydrofluoric Acid

Post by Jerry Berg »

Here Bill... http://www.chemical-supermarket.com/pro ... oductid=32

Make sure you download and read about the safety procedures when using this. You should do a search here as well.
Ingrid Mager

Post by Ingrid Mager »

Bill,
I had a hard time finding it too...and then finding a place that would actually ship it to you...and then not charge an arm and a leg on top of that.
As a back-up, Cole-Parmer is another place you can get it:
http://www.coleparmer.com/catalog/produ ... ?cls=47752
~Inga
erik winkler

Post by erik winkler »

Seems a bit expensive guys for just 250 or 400ml.
When experimenting on very small objects it could be ok.
But if you wa t to do some more, try to register at a true chemical company.
I have 10 liters of 40%. now in stock.
You never know lol.

Inga, merry christmas this weekend.
Make love and no war. ;-)

Erik
Realizing we are in the 2nd renaissance of the arts.
Learn, copy and trying to improve...
Still in the learning phase ;-)
Amsterdam Netherlands
www.ferrywinkler.nl
www.schitterend.eu
www.facebook.com/Schitterend.eu
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

William,
If you are near a large city, look in the yellow pages for a chemical supply house. They'll likely have it. If you can go there to buy it, you can save a lot of money in shipping and packaging.

M. Jackson
Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons
Ingrid Mager

Post by Ingrid Mager »

"Make love not war"
============
Erik,
Take note that I personally, was NOT one of the responders to your post at AGlassclasses forum that ended up in the "big war" over there.... and it was for good reason. I am assuming that is what you are referring to.....
--------
This is too funny, LOL. First you try to convince me NOT to try working with HF.......and now you make suggestions as to how to get larger quantities of the stuff. Ah-hahahah. (I know you are only trying to help :lol:)

Anyway, another place to get it is QUAKER CHEMICAL.....http://www.quakerchemical.com/...talk to "Marshall Copeland". All you need to do is sign a release letter and they will ship it out, but the freighting costs out here are very expensive, and there is a minimum order.

Same goes for DEL AMO CHEMICAL out of SO. California. They wanted around $250 to freight an order, and QUAKER wants around $125 or higher, depending on the exact location. But yes, you can get larger quantities for cheaper this way, and you also have to have a business address for most of these places to ship to you.

I'm just going to fool around with a bit of the mica acid technique for now as I don't have much of a work area here....but when I am ready to melt down the whole town, muah-hahahha, I will consider ordering from QUaker or the likese...unless I can find it in the Denver area.
Thanks,
Inga
Last edited by Ingrid Mager on Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:27 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Ingrid Mager

Post by Ingrid Mager »

Mike,
Kent Smith told me that there had been a lab supply in the greater Denver area where he used to get it from before he quit using HF, but with all the calling around I have done, I have yet to find the source, and he couldn't remember what it was.

For a smaller amount of HF, the best place I have found (to date) is through Cole-Parmer.(They ship FED-EX and all you pay for is the extra $26 for hazzardous shipping. It comes boxed and bagged about 4 times and in a metal container) It is 49%....and anything above 59.9% strength, they charge at higher shipping rates here in the US.

If anybody knows a place in Denver, please let me know.
Thanks,
Inga
Last edited by Ingrid Mager on Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Billie DeBekker

Post by Billie DeBekker »

Thanks Everyone.. After Googling the right terms and a few Phone calls I did find a distributor in Denver that carries it in 55 gal drums and 4 Gallon Cases @$150 per case for 49% Strength.
The Nice thing is they will Deliver it to my Door for $15. Since they come down here twice a month for the Prisons.

They have location all over the US so you might want to check them out.

http://www.univarusa.com/vwr-inc/facili ... enDocument

Ingrid, If you want a gallon or so Give me a holler as I think 4 Gallons might last me awhile. It will be Delivered in a few weeks.

Jerry, Their home office is right in your Neighborhood in Washinton
Ingrid Mager

Post by Ingrid Mager »

DANG!!!!! And I tried so hard finding it locally, and there you just pull it out of thin air. ( :roll: Where, oh where, did I go wrong....mutter...mutter.. :oops: )

And yes Bill, seems that picking up a little more HF would give me good reason for a short trip to your area...and we could also compare notes and do a little "show & tell" on all the glass cutting stuff at the same time, since you are working on starting that up too, now. Give me a jingle,(check your PMs) and when it comes, perhaps I can come down and make a day of it.
~Inga
Duncan Wilkie

Post by Duncan Wilkie »

I've never had the guts to use this stuff. I admire you folks that safely handle it and the beautiful effects you achieve. Just in case someone reading this thread hasn't done much research, please take the time to read this data. Even in a proper laboratory, this stuff is scary to handle. Please be careful.
http://www.fap.pdx.edu/safety/hydrofluoric_acid/