Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Removing glass scratches

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Robert Schwieger

Removing glass scratches

Post by Robert Schwieger »

Need opinions and advice. Nearing completion of 13"x72" plate glass glue chipped and gilded project. The front side has several scratches (about one square inch) on the front side that should be removed if possible. I have used cerium oxide in the past and understand the labor involved plus the fact that by removing the scratch the glass will obviously be distorted in that particular area. My mentor over 50 years ago often noted that "only another sign painter will know the difference" but I am wondering if others have dealt with this dilemma in their glass work. I know that it is my call but I would be interested in knowing how others have resolved this in their work. Your kind assistance is always appreciated. Bob
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Re: Removing glass scratches

Post by Mike Jackson »

Hi Robert,
I polished out a few scratches and it is no fun. You'll eventually have to make that call.

We used to order close to twice the amount of glass we'd need for a project run. There were a surprising number of scratches in the glass when we got it from the glass company, so we culled that group out immediately. Even with felt pads about everywhere the glass touched and pads on all the pieces of glass, some still got scratched us simply handling them over and over. On the large one-off pieces, we told the glass company we'd reject any glass that came to us with any scratches at all.

Good luck,
Mike Jackson
Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons
Danny Baronian
Site Admin

Re: Removing glass scratches

Post by Danny Baronian »

Hi Robert,

Try eliminating the scratches. Next time you see one, or more, you'll realize the fastest way to get the job done right, is to start over when you first see a problem. Scratches are not easy to eliminate.

In ordering glass, I specify architectural quality glass. Upon order, the wholesaler examines the glass on a light table, guarantees the glass to be free of defects, and shipped masked with clear static cling on both sides as well as felt pads. Once received, throughly check the glass, add static cling and felt pads to one side, and work on the other.

Requesting architectural quality glass added about 20% to the cost from the wholesaler, which was factored into the quote, as was ordering a backup occasionally.

As Mike said, polishing the glass is no fun. It not only took a lot of time, but added the possibility of cracking the glass with too much pressure or heat.

I would not consider using "only another sign painter will know the difference" in your thinking. If your customer asks about the divot, you certainly can't say you didn't know about it. They will then look for some other defect, real or imagined, to justify their request for a replacement.

Danny
Danny Baronian
Baronian Mfg.
CNC Routing & Fabrication
http://www.baronian.com