Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

*NEEDING TO MAKE A BIG ORDER*

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Noah Moore

*NEEDING TO MAKE A BIG ORDER*

Post by Noah Moore »

heres the deal, folks. i need to make an order for many of the essentials in gilding. i need to order a cushion and knife, a new tip, some mica, hydrochloric acid, some sort of bon-ami substitute, big brush for gold removal, gold backing paint, etc. some of these things i found on letterheads sign supply but id like to find a place to get as many things as i can in one order. if any of you have a some suggestions, id really appreciate it. anything helps.
thank you.
THE SKYS THE LIMIT
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Re: *NEEDING TO MAKE A BIG ORDER*

Post by Mike Jackson »

Noah,
As far as I know, there are only a couple of places that might be able to fill the bulk of your order.

http://www.signcraftersupply.com/ Contact Pete Payne
http://letterheadsignsupply.com/ Contact Ron Percell

I doubt either of them will be able to fill the acid part of the order, but I don't know that for certain.

Good luck,
Mike Jackson
Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons
Danny Baronian
Site Admin

Post by Danny Baronian »

Noah, if you're looking for hydrochloric acid, it's common name is muriatic acid, and can be found in most hardware stores. Unless it's something Dave specified in his class for a particular use, it will not etch like hydrofluoric acid.

If you're looking to emboss glass, do an internet search for large cities near you under chemical supplies for HF. If you can't find a local supplier, it can be purchased online: http://www.chemical-supermarket.com/pro ... oductid=32

The type generally used in glass embossing is technical or laboratory reagent grade in the range of 49-52%.

Danny
Danny Baronian
Baronian Mfg.
CNC Routing & Fabrication
http://www.baronian.com
Noah Moore

Post by Noah Moore »

thank you guys for your suggestions. ive been doing some major searching around and it looks like ill be making a few different orders. not a huge problem but ive been brainwashed into thinking anything less than convenience is a pain. no biggie. danny, youre right about that. my fingers think faster than my brain at times. i didnt mean to write hydrochloric. even after proof reading, it still sounded right.
well soon enough, ill be posting some things of my own. just a few orders and setting up a little work zone and ill be rolling. thanks again for the insight, fellas. it all helps.
THE SKYS THE LIMIT
Billy Pickett

Post by Billy Pickett »

You don't necessarily need the acid, gilding pad or removal brush. The acid is very dangerous, and your clients will never request any work that necessitates it. Rather than a special 'pad', you can lay gold w. a 'tip' or right from the book. And instead of a brush, removal is easy with just some cotton and a little bonami (it's more gentile too). Other than quality glass gold, the most necessary stuff you will need will be the correct back up paint and 'good' gelatin.
Noah Moore

Post by Noah Moore »

im not really thinking from a clients point of view. im thinking from an artists point of view. im into this for the art. not for the money making side of it all. im trying to push my artistic envelope which will most definitely require the acid. i understand the brush isnt necessary and ive also done it with the cotton. yes, both work but the brush works better for larger areas. better to have both worlds than just one in my opinion. as for the bon-ami, its discontinued in the form that ive used it so i cant find any more. do you know where i can pick some up? thank you for your help.
THE SKYS THE LIMIT
Russ McMullin

Post by Russ McMullin »

Ebay would be a good place to look for Bon Ami
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

https://handletteringforum.com/forum ... mit=Search

Noah,
Read through all the links above regarding Bon-Ami. There were a couple of people saying they might have one or two bars for sale, a couple working on the technique and formula to make it from Bon-Ami powder, and a few wondering whether you needed to use the bar version at all. Powdered Bon-Ami is readily available.

The bar version Bon-Ami is not likely to have any magical powers over just plain Bon-Ami out of the sprinkle can. It was used by LeBlanc in his old books because that was what was available. It was easy for the company to pour into a mold, then wrap with paper and sell for only a few cents per bar, vs having to make a canister, add the sprinkler top, cover it, and ship it. If anything, the bar version would have some binders to hold it together that might even hinder its designed use. Wet a sponge or pad, sprinkle a little powdered Bon-Ami on it, and you are good to go. I am sure Pete Payne would pick up a can of Bon-Ami and include it in a big order if you asked.

For most people, one bar will last you a lifetime of doing day to day gold leaf work.

Good luck,
Mike Jackson
Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons
Noah Moore

Post by Noah Moore »

thanks, mike. .....and russ. i actually sent an email to the bon-ami plant (which is right down the street from my house. never knew.) and they said they were completely out of the bar form but also suggested to try ebay, which was suggested by a few other people as well. they also informed me that the powder was the EXACT formula as the bar. i imagine if you prefer the bar form, you could probably pour it into a container of your desired size, add water and let it dry. this is just what i imagine would work to make it a solid again and a size that could fit into a traveling case..blah, blah, blah. im going to pick some up and give it a shot. thanks again for your help, guys. much appreciated.
THE SKYS THE LIMIT
Robare M. Novou

Post by Robare M. Novou »

Now I know what to do with those extra ice cube trays....hmmmm.....Bon Ami Bars the size of ice cubes...

RMN
What's On Your Book Shelf ?

http://www.milwaukeesignworks.com
Noah Moore

Post by Noah Moore »

exactly. lets hope it works. i really dont see why it wouldnt.
THE SKYS THE LIMIT
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

Go for it Noah! I know your going to make an impressive panel. This guy is hungry for it.......
Dave
Danny Baronian
Site Admin

Post by Danny Baronian »

Noah,

I talked to a chemist at Bon Ami when the bar was no longer available.

Mike's correct in that the powder is the same, with one major exception: there are now two types in powder form, one comes in a metalic gold can, which is NOT the same as the original, and a mustard colored can. Here on the west coast, in all Ace Hardware stores I've been in, they have the mustard colord can, get that and you'll be good to go. Do not use the powder in the metalic gold can, it has been modified, and is not the same at all.

Danny
Danny Baronian
Baronian Mfg.
CNC Routing & Fabrication
http://www.baronian.com
Noah Moore

Post by Noah Moore »

dave, will do! youll just need to wait a little bit. thanks.
danny, will do. and thank you.
THE SKYS THE LIMIT