Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Newbie here saying hello!

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Kerri Lynn Brownlee

Newbie here saying hello!

Post by Kerri Lynn Brownlee »

:D Hello Everyone!
Newbie here! :lol: I've been lurking around reading posts for about 18 months or so. Somehow, I couldn't get registered but, thanks to Mike Jackson...here I am now. :)

I am, by training, a Nuclear Medicine Technologist in the field for 19 years. I call it my 'real' job. It provides the neccessary benefits and pays the bills while I continue to build my business. My husband and I have a small construction business and a small trucking division. He is looking forward to installing my first sign...that hasn't been designed yet!

I one of those sand blasters that is enamoured with the vintage/classic designs of Dave Smith, Roderick and others here on this forum. I have been blasting for 3 years now and have just completed my first deepcarving, multistage projects. My knees go weak and my heart start missing beats when I look at the art work and craftsmanship that I have seen here. I have decided to persue these arts and 'expand my skill set' as one of my tech savvy friends put it. I don't know of anyone here in Arkansas that creates such pieces..if I did, I would go and sit at their knee to learn a bit first hand.

I have signed up for the beginning hand lettering class by Jeff Cahill in April. I am really looking forward to it and hope that I don't embaress myself with my lack of knowledge and/or techniques. As I have said, I have lurked around here for about 18 months, reading and practicing, and reading and practicing, and reading some more.

Thanks for all the great information and step by steps that you have put online. These are of great help and I for one really appreciate them.

Kerri Brownlee
Glorious Graphics and Gifts
Mayflower, Arkansas
Roderick Treece

Re: Newbie here saying hello!

Post by Roderick Treece »

Kerri,
You finally made to the end of the line ! That hand lettering class looks like it will be fun.

Good luck !
Ingrid Mager

Post by Ingrid Mager »

Oh, that's right, Keri...the Cahill class.
Offer still holds if you want me to pick you up at the airport, and go together.
~Inga
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

Good to see you joining us here Kerri.
Dave
Kerri Lynn Brownlee

Dave and Roderick-Thanks! It's a new adventure that's for sure!

Inga- I would love for you to be there! However, we are driving in!

Looking forward to learning lots of new things!

Kerri Brownlee
Mayflower, Ar
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

Kerri,
Welcome aboard! Sorry you had the snags getting registered. Danny and I are now monitoring the "inactive users" list and can manually activate people having problems.

We'll all be watching for your projects to show up here so everyone can enjoy them.

Cheers,
Mike Jackson
Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons
Kerri Lynn Brownlee

Thanks Mike. I know that there are 'snags' out there and they are unintentional!

It will be a while before I post any of my projects... :oops: It will take a lot of time and practice to post a project worthy of this board. I will hang out and read and practice some more. It just feels good to be able to ask questions if I want.

Thanks again!

Kerri Brownlee
Mayflower, Ar
Susan Banasky

Post by Susan Banasky »

Welcome Kerri Lynn.
Duncan Wilkie

Post by Duncan Wilkie »

Welcome Kerri Lynn. Enjoy yourself and don't be shy.
Kerri Lynn Brownlee

Thanks for the welcome.

Kerri Brownlee
Mayflower, Ar
Larry White

Post by Larry White »

Worthy?.....who said, "Worthy?"

Everyone's gotta start somewhere....

I think we'd like to see your stuff right from the start....why not....

Good luck, heh?

Kerri Lynn Brownlee

:lol: :lol: If you want to see where I am now...DON"T LAUGH TOO LOUDLY!!!! :oops: :lol:

Here are a couple of projects that I have just finished for a month long display/sell in my hometown, Conway, Arkansas.
They are nothing fancy. This one is a 12"x12" on 1/8" glass that I blasted using 220 grit and vinyl as my resist. Then Painted it with gold paint. The design is from another forum.
100_4894_2.jpg
100_4894_2.jpg (53.43 KiB) Viewed 6878 times
This one is a 12"x12" mirror using the same as above but using black and gold paint. The reflection is the ceiling of my shop!
100_4892_2.jpg
100_4892_2.jpg (57.06 KiB) Viewed 6870 times
I am saving up to purchase an air brush. I have several items on the 'wish list' but, the air brush seems to be the most pressing item for now. I am getting a bit frustrated with paint in a 'rattle can'.

Thanks for the warm welcome..

Kerri Brownlee
Mayflower, Ar