Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Question on Reverse Gilding

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Philip Steffen

Question on Reverse Gilding

Post by Philip Steffen »

I have been in the sign trade for 16 years or so..since highschool. I have had the priviledge to meet many sign makers and befriend a few of you. It is still fun and exciting at times, which is a plus to any job.

The job I recently sold calls for some water gilding with gold, then outline and dropshadow. All text, nothing fancy. Size is about 27" x 31" area: It is a title and office sign for a District Attorney's office. I would like to screenprint the black outline and shadow on the back, then water gild "into" the hollow letters, then back up of course. I have done some of this type of work freehand, but never with a screen. I am afraid my skill level will not give me the finished product I want on the 3/4" text with thin outlines, blind in reverse; thats why the thought of using the screen. Also, this is in the waiting room, very close up and will have much scrutiny. Kelly T. has lent some advice already, and I am looking for additional suggestions for, but not limited to:

What tested/Reliable ink to use for the black outlines and shadow, and where to get it.

Is there a clear cut "How to" already produced on this very subject?

What do you guys & gals typically back up with?

Does anyone in the upstate NY area want to have a micro meet that knows how to do this? I'll buy the....everything.

I would post a layout, but don't know how to yet.

Part of the fun is the deadline and having to figure it all out. It's fun right this second, soon to be crazy stressful probably, then, when it's all over I'll see how fun it was again. Just like delivering a baby. (This is where my wife would hit me)

Feel free to call me (or I can call you if you email your number) 518-683-0255

Thanks to any & all in advance.

Phil!
Last edited by Philip Steffen on Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
John Studden

Re: Reverse Gilding by a Newbie..to the site

Post by John Studden »

Call if you want................661-373-4191
John Studden
Valencia Signs, California
Kelly Thorson

Re: Reverse Gilding by a Newbie..to the site

Post by Kelly Thorson »

There you go Phil. You are getting an offer you can't afford to refuse. :)
I believe there is no shame in failure. Rather, the shame lies in the loss of all the things that might have been, but for the fear of failure.
Philip Steffen

Re: Question on Reverse Gilding

Post by Philip Steffen »

Thanks for the help John & Kelly. I am going to attempt a vinyl mask method John suggested. Should work well.
Roderick Treece

Re: Question on Reverse Gilding

Post by Roderick Treece »

Philip,
I to would suggest the mask method. I suggest that you do it in the shop a few times to get it right. Timing and paint consistancy is everything. I would use one shot with hardner. You will probably need to be ready to do some trimming and cleaning up after you pull the mask.