Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

illustrator clipart question

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Doug Bernhardt

illustrator clipart question

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

Okay.....as foolish as this question is likley to be here's the senario. Many many moons ago I bought Mike's first collection of ornaments. It was used only once by the guy who was designing my webpage at that time. I always knew I'd use it once the day came that I could get around get around a little bit better with computers.....that day is today. So needing a pointing hand on something I'm working on I go to the CD and try opening one of the files. I can see it in bridge and the layers palette of illustrator CS4 but nothing's on the artboard and can't select anything.... Nothing is locked. I've tried opening the EPS and the Ai. versions....any suggestions?
Billie DeBekker

Re: illustrator clipart question

Post by Billie DeBekker »

Try Zooming out.. On Some of Mikes CDs I have noticed. Especially in Signlab that the Item seemed to be saved outside of the main workspace thus when importing they would be placed out in the north 40. Also try using the Zoom all.. (I think Illy has that.) or worse case scenario. Email me the File (I do have all of Mikes CDs except the Newest one on LHF so we're not stealing)

Hmm Just did a Quick test and opened all the Hand Files in the American Collection in Illy and they did open in the Middle of the page in Illy so I guess Illy doesn't save area placement like Signlab does. So now I am thinking your file is corrupt or Some weird setting in Illy.. I only have illy for file conversion so I am no help there.
Doug Bernhardt

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

William....you right the first time. Zoomed waaayyyyy out and thar she be. Boy do I like this place....so fast!! And also compliments to Mr. Golden on good work. First time I've actually seen them and are nicely drawn too!!
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

Hi Doug,
I've never seen the problem, but it must exist if two of you are having the issue.

Another option would be to Control-A to select all, then Control-X to cut it to the clipboard, and finally Control-V to paste it into the center of the current working space.

Normally, I suggest people copy the entire folder of images in their favorite format to their hard drive and access them from there. Just use the CD as a backup. If you did so and saved the file after the steps above, they'd be in the center of your page next time.

Cheers,
Mike Jackson
Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons
Danny Baronian
Site Admin

Post by Danny Baronian »

I've never had this problem in Illustrator either, but if it happens occasionally in whatever program you're using, on a file you've opened that doesn't display in the art board, on the pc do a control a (select all) followed by cut and paste, which will paste whatever's in the file into the current art board.

Danny
Danny Baronian
Baronian Mfg.
CNC Routing & Fabrication
http://www.baronian.com
Billie DeBekker

Post by Billie DeBekker »

Yes Do what Mike Said.. I have all my Clipart On my Harddrive that way it is Backed Up along with all my customer files. One thing I also did is Right Click on the folder where all your clipart is saved Click Properties Then Click READ ONLY.. That way you don't accidentally Save over the original.. When I had Employees.. I started doing this as some of my so called designers would just overwrite my files.
Roderick Treece

Post by Roderick Treece »

I keep all of Mikes art on my hard drive.
I look in the booklet he provided for the clip art I like.
Go to my finder and type in the file name and it always comes up
double click on the file and it opens in illustrator
select all, copy then paste into my new art board

Never fail to work great,

Thanks Mike

Good luck Doug
Doug Bernhardt

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

William hit it right on and I guess it showed the experience still lacking. I've followed the advice and am assembling them in a seperate folder...all the hands together etc. Roderick....if you have bridge for illy or photoshop you can use that to look at the files as large icons and then open the ones you want....but heck the booklet is way too handy. This all started as me needing a pointing hand and knew it was in the collection. Thanx again all.
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

I mentioned this in a previous post, but I now have a brand new collection called the Saratoga Collection. I spent a lot of time on it and I think they are some awesome panels. Many were inspired by Rawson & Evans and are designed to compliment the Main Street Collection. Some of them are quite detailed.

This group is available only through Letterheadfonts.com

Check out: http://www.letterheadfonts.com/fonts/sa ... anels1.php
That's a link to panel group 1. There are four panel collections plus an ornaments group. You can save money by buying the four panel collections as a group.
Follow the links to see the other Saratoga collections. Heck, it's worth visiting just to see the colorized examples for each group!

This collection is sold in font format, so they are ready for immediate downloads. We still sell the other four collections on CD with the booklets, but many of them are also available at LetterheadFonts.com as fonts.

Thanks for the comments.

Mike Jackson
www.goldenstudios.com
Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons