Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Alternative to Leaf

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Hedley

Alternative to Leaf

Post by Hedley »

Hi all
I'm just wondering if any of you use any alternatives to gold, artificial gold or variegated leaf in hand painted jobs? I've been wondering about the possibility, availability and practicality of different types of 'patterned' foils that can be applied to size instead of the mentioned 'leafs'. I'm wondering is this a runner. All experiences and replies welcomed.
HEDLEY

www.freewebs.com/hedleysflutebandart
www.freewebs.com/hmba2

Look the Part - Marching Band Art
Doug Bernhardt

Re: Alternative to Leaf

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

Hi Hedley, I have tried and used all sorts various leaves.....mainly for effect. . You know copper and varigated. They generally require a softer set time on your size and an acrylic clear to keep them from tarnishing. I sort of figger if I can't use/afford gold on a project I haven't priced it correctly as the time and grief savings is pretty big.
Hedley

Post by Hedley »

Thanx Doug. I haven't really made myself clear. Sorry. I was really meaning alternatives like different coloured and patterned foil. Say like rainbow metallic patterns or holographic prints. I'm wondering if this is feasible.
HEDLEY

www.freewebs.com/hedleysflutebandart
www.freewebs.com/hmba2

Look the Part - Marching Band Art
Doug Bernhardt

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

Hi again, Holographic prints I'm not sure about but rainbow patterns etc would depend on size etc and can/could be obtained with varigated leaf. How it will look on what you're up to is an "all yours" call but don't forget you can tear the leaves.....crumple them etc for all sorts of effects you may never have thought of. Best luck with the process....it's a heap of fun!