Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Updated Scam

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Roderick Treece

Updated Scam

Post by Roderick Treece »

Having an online business is great except for the scam artists. I've gotten used to it and they amuse me sometimes. I received a request for 35 30" x 40" x 3/8" pieces of glass to be sent to Haiti the other day. Well it looked a bit funny (but so did the three big jobs from France I just did for Airbus jets) but I thought , it's easy to give them a price for that. When it came time for shipping they wanted me to get in touch with their shipper. They would be paying for all of it with a credit card ( Which is a new twist ). They send me the shippers info. I check it out and sure enough they have a web site and it looks real until I look at the address and low and behold it's in GANA ! Hot bed of the scam world. Now the addition to the scam is using a credit card and the web site.
Watch out !
Anthony Bennett

Re: Updated Scam

Post by Anthony Bennett »

Wow, Glad you didnt get burned.
Mike Simpson

Post by Mike Simpson »

I get those too in the framing business. In fact they have been for the same quantity and size as yours was which is wierd. The first time it was a phone call in which the operator said the person calling was using a keyboard which was indicitive of a hearing issue. So she would tell me what the person typed and I'd respond and she'd type back to the guy. It sounded fishy as he wanted how ever many frames and glass, of a certain size. Color didn't matter. I went so far as to get the credit card number and then called my c/c processor who called Visa...stolen credit card. Since that one they have been emails which I have just ignored.
Mike Simpson
picture framemaker and artist
http://www.mikesimpsonart.com
Mark Summers

Post by Mark Summers »

Ditto for me. 50 banners for a christian outfit and he will arrange shipping to
his location. Pretty comical altogether.

Mark
BruceJackson

Post by BruceJackson »

I've had them too. Quite a few actually.

The thing that always makes them obvious is the lack of discussion about their specific requirements. They just place a big order without any request for information or questions about what I will supply.

A genuine client always wants to know exactly what they are getting and they just feel very different to deal with.