Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Applying abalone on a curved surface

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Jerry Berg

Applying abalone on a curved surface

Post by Jerry Berg »

I have a job that requires some abalone and MOP applied on the surface of a slightly curved object. The curve is not too bad, but I don't want it coming up down the road. I've seen plenty on vases.
Also are there any ways of applying it in this manner without it cracking due to the curve, and what might be the best type of glue for adhereing it.
I was thinking of using VHB double sided tape on the back but not all the way to the edge and then glueing the edges so the glue goes under the edge a bit too.

Any thoughts? .... Thanks.
Billie DeBekker

Re: Applying abalone on a curved surface

Post by Billie DeBekker »

I read if you soak it in vinegar it will soften the shell so you can bend it a little.. Haven't tried it yet though. And wouldn't on a project until I played a little, but you know that old rule.
Kent Smith

Post by Kent Smith »

Warm it up, best by dipping in boiling water. Quick Gel super glue so you can slide the pieces together. Dry fit them first and you can trim the pieces while warm with manicure scissors.
Jerry Berg

Post by Jerry Berg »

Thanks Kent!