Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Screen printing on coroplast

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Richard McKinley

Screen printing on coroplast

Post by Richard McKinley »

I have returned to the sign business after fifteen years of corp. life. Obviously there have been many changes one of which is substrates.
My question should anyone care to answer is this: What screen printing ink should be used when printing on coroplast?

Thanks
Richard McKinley
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Re: Screen printing on coroplast

Post by Mike Jackson »

I'd suggest checking with your sign supplier for their specs on the inks they sell. Daz-Dar makes a GV (Gloss Vinyl Ink) that would probably work, but the fumes are overwhelming. They also make a Multi-Purpose ink that would probably do the job. I've never screened on coroplast, so I can't say for sure, but that's where I'd start.

Mike Jackson
Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons
Mark Summers

Post by Mark Summers »

Vinyl ink last I recall is pretty smelly stuff. Multi-purpose should do the trick.

Mark
Kelly Thorson

Post by Kelly Thorson »

The last time I screened a coroplast run (5+ yrs ago) I used a catalyst added to a multi purpose ink as directed by the manufacturer. I'm not sure about this, but I was told that multi purpose alone wouldn't adhere well. These days coroplast is such a common substrate that most ink manufacturers have inks designed specifically for coro. Ink Tech has a CPR series and Naz Dar has 7900 Corogloss that I know of. I found a screenprinter who does the job so reasonable that it isn't worth the brain cells to do it myself. If you are going to do it yourself make sure you are equipped with good ventilation and safety equipment. Screen printing can be very hard on your health.
I believe there is no shame in failure. Rather, the shame lies in the loss of all the things that might have been, but for the fear of failure.
Duncan Wilkie

Post by Duncan Wilkie »

We used multipurpose and enamel in the past. The coroplast must be corona treated. Most is, but not all. Vinyl ink won't stick to coroplast. Corogloss works well, but I never liked working with it.
Kevin Bergin

Post by Kevin Bergin »

If I can suggest another option you might look into- The UV flatbed printers crank out coroplast for a ridiculously low price. I think I pay about 5 bucks and change for double sided 18 x 24 coro if I order just 10. For the amount of time that goes into screening them, unless you were doing thousands you could look at someone like weprintyouprofit.com - they've done me right on every order, and they turn everything quick.