Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Work orders

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Mike Simpson

Work orders

Post by Mike Simpson »

I've been getting a few lettering jobs lately and have decided to pursue this on a more professional basis. I have a workorder system for the picture framing business I have but I was curious about what you folks use in the sign trade. Are there any references available with layout examples of work orders? I'm assuming the WO should at least have space for customer info, job description, price, deposit, customer signature, etc. Do you list materials to be used, and itemize the order? Does the customer get a copy? What are some of your suggestions and examples?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Mike
Mike Simpson
picture framemaker and artist
http://www.mikesimpsonart.com
Mark Summers

Re: Work orders

Post by Mark Summers »

Mike,
Welcome from Frisco.
I can see where your business would be advantageous to put down the type of
frame you used, supplier, matte, glass type as the components are more easily defined
(I think). One time I had a work order plan going on but with the advent of the
digital age I simply put notes on the file I have opened and any pertinent imformation.
Some of the work that we may do in the custom sign business can leave a bit
of flexibility for it's use. Taking notes on any materials used though can be a help if
the customer comes back years later and you then have to replicate what you
did. Digital pictures help a lot. Many times the customer doesn't even know what
went on. You can dictate the newer outcome if you want. Newer, better etc.
Wonder if there isn't a digital way to keep track of your framing? Paper is laborious.
Make sure you back up so you don't lose the info.

Mark
Mike Simpson

Re: Work orders

Post by Mike Simpson »

Yea, thanks Mark. So far I've just been showing the customer a sketch and discussing the substrate, make some notes for myself and then do it. So far no problems. I'm a big believer in keeping it all as simple as possible. The framing software I use has the ability to enter various items and they are priced out and I know there is sign trade software but I'm not into it on that scale...just doing some show card type lettering, a little work on glass and some lettering on MDO and such.
Mike Simpson
picture framemaker and artist
http://www.mikesimpsonart.com