Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

White gold & resin gel

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Steven Vigeant

White gold & resin gel

Post by Steven Vigeant »

White gold & resin gel sure sounds good to me.
Hey, that could be a song!
OK, I have a a chance to do a real letterhead sign but I could be going out on a limb, from which in the past I may have been called back by _ Finegold. I want to do a second surface glass silver gild, with resin-gel, neither of which I've tried before.
I want to do a thin black outline, and burnished outline with some gelled patterning in the middle. The text is slightly thin loose script. The whole middle could be gelled if necessary. Some crucial guidance would be appreciated.

The questions:
Can you brush on the gel and keep it crisply in the middle of the letter during texturing without placing it behind a trap or outline?
Is white gold the way to go?
Can you get away with a multi-outline paint mask, and still gild over masked outlines and gel?
Sir Kent, would you recommend the aluminium backing leaf that is suggested in the 3rd edition.
Famous last words, " I think that's all the questions."
Thanks in advance
Ron Percell
Site Admin

Post by Ron Percell »

Hello Steve,
I'm not sure, but I believe your asking about reverse glass "Embossing" with Damar Varnish mixed in equal parts with Weber Art Res-n-gel and a varnish for a hardener.

As far as brush application, you'll probally use a pop-cicle stick because of the thickness of the Damar Mix.

This 3 part mix is then applied to the glass and left to harden. Once firm, but not completely hardened you may tool the surface with a pattern such as engine turning or use lace to press in a uniform design. Testers to the side of the job are advisable, the test panels will allow you to touch the damar to see if it has set up enough to tool.

Once completed you may gild the embossed areas with gold or silver leaf using water size. I would pass on the Aluminum leaf(Too Thick) and stick with white gold or Palladium.

Good Luck!