Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Harry Malicoat

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

ericmalicoat

Harry Malicoat

Post by ericmalicoat »

I am sorry to say that my father passed away today. After surviving a motorcycle accident a couple weeks ago, he had a blood clot get to his brain at a physical therapy session. It was quick and painless.

He thought the world of so many of you here and looked forwards to see people at events. His life and his work were better for knowing you.

The service will be 10am Wednesday August 3rd at Fresno Memorial Cemetary.

Ric
Last edited by ericmalicoat on Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rick Sacks

Re: Harry Malicoat

Post by Rick Sacks »

Louise called and delivered this news. With deepest regrets I'll head out to my truck at daylight and examine the lines Harry put on it and remember the wonderful moments together.
Mendocino, California
"Where the redwoods meet the Sea"
Danny Baronian
Site Admin

Post by Danny Baronian »

Condolences to you and your family Ric.

Like others, I've talked with Harry over the years. With this news, it seems like just yesterday we sat together working on a project at a Memorial Conclave at Rod's.

All the best to the family.

Danny W. Baronian
Danny Baronian
Baronian Mfg.
CNC Routing & Fabrication
http://www.baronian.com
Larry White

Post by Larry White »

I am very sorry to hear this. Harry is a wonderful talent
in so many different aspects of art and his trade. I have
one of his watercolor prints of the Rick Glawson portrait
that he painted hanging here in Machine. He will be greatly
missed.

-Larry
John Studden

Post by John Studden »

Harry was a great guy, very skilled with a lot to offer, he left too soon & will be greatly missed by all who knew him...........
John Studden
Valencia Signs, California
Jay Allen

Post by Jay Allen »

Wow . . . I'm so very sorry for your family's loss. Harry was unique to say the least.

I had the pleasure of Harry pinstriping my Toyota 4-Runner in Fargo back in 1996 . . . Tramp Warner walked up to him - took a look all around the truck and said to Harry: "Very polite, Harry."

When Tramp walked away he said "Those are the comments that mean the most - from someone who understands."

Years later he and his family members stopped in tiny ol' Belvidere after being in the Midwest for motorcycle races - and Harry wanted to see me and to look at the murals. We all went to lunch and had a great time.

Last I saw of him was in Lodi in 2006 . . . and we spoke for an hour before he had to go. He was far more talented than just his brush skills showed . . .

Such a loss and such a talent . . . I'm dumbstruck. I had come to believe that he was invincible after all his other motorcycle 'challenges' through the years.
oatis

Post by oatis »

Eric:

Harry was TOPS. I am very sad for you family's loss, and also for the passing of a great artist. Harry had such an enthusiastic and sharing nature. He really embodied the Letterhead spirit.

And his Faux-Embossed truck lettering effect was second to none. It completely faked me out. And that gave him a big laugh. I also saw Harry at Lodi in 2006, and it was a joy to be with him.

Please accept my heartfelt condolences.

Yours,

Mark Oatis
Ron Berlier

Post by Ron Berlier »

Eric,

I too am shocked at the news. Like Larry I have one of the Limited Edition color portraits of Rick Glawson. He was a great guy and very talented. He will be missed by a lot of people. My condolences to you and your family.

Ron
Ron Berlier
Wherever I go, there I am.
Doug Bernhardt

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

So sorry to hear this news. Just a super talent and good guy who I always enjoyed running into at gatherings and the Conclaves in particular. Cheerful and always excited by life and work will be my memory or him. My best to family and his many friends.
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

This is terrible news Ric ,I'm so sorry to hear this. I really do not know what to say about this.....

Your dad was one of the best in friendship and talent..... I also have a very nice painting done by your dad of Rick and he signed it for me. He will be missed by alot of people.... one of a kind..

Dave
Kent Smith

Post by Kent Smith »

So sad and shocking. Saw Ric and Harry in April. Often came by when he was in Colo. He was the best.
Eric Richardson

Post by Eric Richardson »

Harry Christopher Malicoat
September 1, 1959 - July 26, 2011

Some of you may know my brother Eric (Ric) from his time here on this forum or from time spent hanging out at various gatherings with my Dad. If you have gotten this far then you probably knew my Dad Harry. You may wonder why he had two son's with the same name. The story goes back 37 years to when my brother and I were both too young to even walk and he became my stepfather. Dad did pass away this past Tuesday due to complications after a motorcycle accident that occurred two weeks ago. I know my brother posted some of the details above but unfortunately at the time the funeral details had not yet been worked out. I just want you to know from our family to you that Dad's art and the community surrounding it were a big part of his life. We really appreciate the support you have shown and hope to see those that can make it at the funeral.

We haven't yet figured out how it would work but are considering having an opportunity for you striper's to contribute in a more artistic manner than your standard registry. Perhaps a panel. I'm not sure if it will work out yet but thought we would get the idea out there. This was such a big part of Dad's life, it would seem a shame not to represent that in some way.

Funeral details
Visitation will be on Tuesday, August 2nd from 2-6pm at Serenity Funeral Home (5042 N. Fresno St. Fresno, CA, 559-244-6333).

Funeral services will be Wednesday, August 3rd at 10am in Fresno Memorial Gardens (175 South Cornelia Avenue, Fresno, CA 93706, 559-268-7823).
Attachments
Harry on a bike ride up to Yosemite, sandwiched between his two road bikes with his own paint.
Harry on a bike ride up to Yosemite, sandwiched between his two road bikes with his own paint.
IMG_5011.JPG (189.45 KiB) Viewed 10386 times
Harry and his sons, Eric, Eric (Ric), and Daniel.
Harry and his sons, Eric, Eric (Ric), and Daniel.
IMG_3729.JPG (201.44 KiB) Viewed 10394 times
Harry next to his cool Chevy SSR.
Harry next to his cool Chevy SSR.
Dad next to his truck.2011-01-18.jpg (82.95 KiB) Viewed 10456 times
Tony Segale

Post by Tony Segale »

I am sorry to hear this news this last weekend, and my condolences to the Malicoat and Letterhead/Pinhead families.

Last September, on his birthday, Harry called me, said he was in Lodi at the Foster Freeze,
thought he would stop by. I was glad to be at the shop when he did call, he was only 8 blocks away.
Seems he always went for a ride on his birthday, we had a good visit. I missed him a few months later at the
Auto Show at Cal Expo.

Harry was a good talented pinstriper signwriter and watercolorist, and always had a story or two.
He will be missed.
and he took that golden hair and made a sweater for baby bear.
http://www.tonysegale.com
http://www.tonysegale.wordpress.com