Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

A flash from the past: Pencil Hardness Scale

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Mike Jackson
Site Admin

A flash from the past: Pencil Hardness Scale

Post by Mike Jackson »

http://www.pencils.com/hb-graphite-grading-scale

Some people here might get a kick out of this link. Back when I was taking drafting in high school, (before Autocad) we had to use the right grade of pencil for each kind of line—and my teacher, Mr. Phelps, made us learn the hardness scale for pencils. We had similar needs for pencil hardness in my art classes so the info ported over to that discipline, too. If I told my kid to use a 6H pencil instead of a 2B, he'd have no clue what I was talking about.

I ran across this page a while back. Someone had asked me about some lettering I did on a sign project. He wanted to know the name of the "font". I jokingly told him it was called "Eberhard 2B", referring to the fact I hand drew it on velum with a pencil.

The chart was a blast from the past for me!

Mike Jackson
Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons
Ingrid Mager

Re: A flash from the past: Pencil Hardness Scale

Post by Ingrid Mager »

Sometimes I would relish the idea of going back to the pencil and paper days. I have had clients beg me for a hand drawn sketch instead of computer generated images before. Perhaps there are many who miss the romance of the genuine materials and lines drafted by a skilled hand.....

Once trained, though, it would be hard to abandone all that the computer can do.
Just stating the obvious with a little mist in my eyes at the same time.

Thanks for bringing back a little of yesteryear.
~Inga
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

Ah, hard to get too misty eyed! Darla sold this little job for the Presbyterian Church. I did the layout in Gerber Omega and we cut it out of vinyl and applied it to a piece of Coroplast. Overall, it was a straight forward sign project, made tolerable and at least somewhat profitable with the computer. I shutter to think I might have ever had to do a hand layout and hand letter anything like this, but I know I did a few similar projects. Yikes, look at all the zeros side by side! It seems there is a time for the techniques of the old days and a time to use what is available.

Mike Jackson
Attachments
Presbyterian Church
Presbyterian Church
ChurchChart.png (59.78 KiB) Viewed 6256 times
Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons
Dennis Davis

Post by Dennis Davis »

Mike, thanks for the nostalgic return to days gone bye. I well remember Mr. Edmondson, my drafting teacher. Back in my HS days, our freshman year we took a quarter of each of the following: mechanical drawing, machine shop, wood shop and metal shop. This gave us a taste of what we might focus on for the next three years. I chose mechanical drawing.

Do you folks remember those LeRoy lettering kits. The plastic template that came in various fonts along with the LeRoy pen holder. About the time you completed a lengthy sign, somebody would bump your work station and mess up the whole project. We learned more about patience than anything back in those days.

I still have a blue mark in the palm of my right hand. Got that shortly after sharpening my pencil in a Boston lead pointer. I dropped my "KOH-I-NOOR" pencil and tried to catch it. That extra half a rotation made the lead end up at my thigh when by hand came down. Feeling sheepish, I looked around the room and noted that no one saw my act of self mutilation. I gripped the pencil firmly and removed it from my palm. If memory serves me correctly, it was a 6H lead that got me.

Dennis
Dennis Davis
Boise, Idaho
Ingrid Mager

Post by Ingrid Mager »

OH my goodness, Dennis.... I have a chunk of similar lead stuck in my left thigh to this day. And yes, the LEROY machines......but remember how high tech we felt when we began using rub-on lettering? ....and then the Almighty KROY machine came out to show who was really boss!

Scarey that we can both remember back that far.
~Inga
Kent Smith

Post by Kent Smith »

Ah, drafting class with Mr. Landon. Lining pens and Speedball for our lettering, no templates allowed. Good thing I had some background with Dad's pens and Speedball book. I still have my board, t-square, triangles, scale, compass and liner set, and most of the harder lead pencils. I also have in my files, most of the "better" drawings from that class. When I have to work on a sign presentation, I still use many of the skills and they too help me visualize the finished product.

Thanks Mike for the memories.
Ingrid Mager

Post by Ingrid Mager »

Yeah....sorry about that. I forget that this is about hand-lettering. My background has been more in architecture and such....so you probably think "sacreligious!" when I even mention KROY or RUB-ONS... but I do remember using ruling pens!
~inga
Ron Berlier

Post by Ron Berlier »

Ah yes, mechanical drafting, the trade that was always going to be in demand - something every young man should take to prepare for his future. Fond memeories to be sure. I still have my mechanical pencil sharpener, that goes round-n-round and collects a ton of pencil lead, in the original box. Just couldn't toss it. I think it's in my memories box with my slide-rule, but that's another story with a bunch of memories.

TNX Mike -

Ron
Ron Berlier
Wherever I go, there I am.