Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Keith Knecht's Farewell Celebration

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

oatis

Keith Knecht's Farewell Celebration

Post by oatis »

Everybody:

Our brother, mentor and great friend Keith Knecht is hosting a Farewell Celebration. Keith has endured many serious health challenges in recent years, and has arrived at a point of transition. He is inviting his friends in Toledo, as well as his colleagues in the sign profession to join him at a favorite local restaurant for an evening of celebration and fellowship. The time and location:

Friday August 26th 3PM - 7PM
Michael's
901 Monroe Street (Corner of Monroe and Michigan)
Toledo, OH 43624
419-241-3900

I have been in contact with Keith's brother Bruce, who is helping Keith with the planning of this wonderful gathering. Keith will love to see, and greet, everyone who can attend. And for those unable to be there in person, Bruce (and I) encourage you to send celebratory wishes, anecdotes, pictures or remembrances. These need to go via conventional mail (and hence, should be sent right away), to:

Bruce Knecht
2344 Old Stone Court Apt. 8
Toledo, OH 43614

Keith has been Ambassador Number One for our Craft for over fifty years. During his career he has worked, learned, given and shared with sign artists across the country. His boundless passion, enthusiasm and humor have inspired everyone he has worked alongside, and his talent and skills are without equal. He is a Crackerjack signpainter and showcard artist,as good as they get, and his pinstriping is gorgeous. To watch Keith "put down a strong move" (his words) on a project--well, that was a something it has been my great privilege to behold.

Keith traveled by train to Denver over thirty years ago, to attend a Letterheads meeting--our first "official" initiation was cobbled together in his honor. Keith has a lot of pals; I hope you will take the opportunity to send good wishes his way.

Yours,

Mark Oatis
Kent Smith

Re: Keith Knecht's Farewell Celebration

Post by Kent Smith »

Keith and I traveled together many times and shared a lot of history. He is a man of honor and dignity who has brought joy to all who have spent time in his aura. I will sit down this evening to pen some thoughts to send to Bruce to share. I hope everyone will do the same.

By the way, the cobbled together initiation that was created just for Keith, is the same Letterhead Creed most of you now know.
Jay Allen

Post by Jay Allen »

Not surprised by how Keith wants to say 'farewell' . . . but that wouldn't make the occasion any more festive for me. I believe that party calls for a 'brave face' and a few forced smiles amongst the real ones. He walked the talk and was an amazing early force - maybe an east-west connection started from that first meeting with CO Letterheads.

I have signed prints of some of his movie posters he gave me and greatly treasure them. Even moreso now. Time permits, I'm there to 'celebrate' . . . but that's not always easy to do. Thanks for the heads-up, Mark . . .
oatis

Post by oatis »

Jay: I know you'll attend if you can. If you can't be there, send along your regards--it will mean everything to him.

Yours,

Mark
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

http://signmuseum.blogspot.com/2011/08/ ... egend.html

According to this blog at the sign museum, Keith Knecht passed away on August 30th. He'll be remembered by all who met him and missed by the same.

Mike Jackson
Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons
erik winkler

Post by erik winkler »

Just four days after his Farewell Celebration...
It is a cruel world. :(
Realizing we are in the 2nd renaissance of the arts.
Learn, copy and trying to improve...
Still in the learning phase ;-)
Amsterdam Netherlands
www.ferrywinkler.nl
www.schitterend.eu
www.facebook.com/Schitterend.eu