Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Victoria and Albert Museum , London glass

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

DAVE SMITH

Victoria and Albert Museum , London glass

Post by DAVE SMITH »

I had the opportunity to make this reverse glass sign panel for the uk's top Londom Museum the V and A. The show which runs from the 5th August for one year is displaying different signage in the Porter Gallery section. The V&A and Crafts Council will retain ownership of all the signs after the show. Other words were made in different mediums.
SPECTACULAR
REFINED
SKILLED
CRAFTED
METICULOUS
EXPRESSIVE
INTENSE
EXTREME
INGENIOUS
CURIOUS
IMAGINATIVE
TINKERED
the curator chose the style of text,each sign needed to match with the same font being used throughout.

Thanks

Dave
Glass-advertising-sign-V-and-A-London-700.jpg
Glass-advertising-sign-V-and-A-London-700.jpg (142.32 KiB) Viewed 9420 times
Angle-shot-700.jpg
Angle-shot-700.jpg (149.1 KiB) Viewed 9445 times
Gilded-Glass-Sign700.jpg
Gilded-Glass-Sign700.jpg (53.56 KiB) Viewed 9384 times
etched-detail.jpg
etched-detail.jpg (155.24 KiB) Viewed 9412 times
bob gamache

Re: Victoria and Albert Museum , London glass

Post by bob gamache »

Congratulations Dave! Amazing work! Really love the variety of textures and techniques that you used. They all work together nicely. The center gradient from shell to embossed is awesome! Nice combination.
Bob Gamache
vance galliher

Post by vance galliher »

......simply …bedazzling
vance
dimensional and glass art signs
http://www.vancegallihersigns.com
Anthony Bennett

Post by Anthony Bennett »

Very very nice.
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

Thankyou ! You will notice this text needs to go up slightly on the panel , it looks to low, they gave all the artists strict dimensions and placement of every sign. I nearly left off the shade because of this.

Dave.
oatis

Post by oatis »

Dave: Wonderful work! And as always, you present something new and creative. The acid "stipple", giving way to the pearl-and-glazed fills within the centers---wow. And that delicate border: Pure U.K.

From your description, I deduce that the various makers were granted liberties; within the narrow constraints of designated typography and size.

Are you producing more than one? Did you have to submit tight artwork for approval? Any pictures of the other signs?

Mark
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

Thanks Mark. I was only sent the font along with dimensions , they said I had free rain on border work and interior of the text and colours etc .They did not need to see what I was proposing with anitial sketches.. I have sent an email asking to see the other signs ,once they send images I will post them here. I only made this one panel for the exhibition. Glad you like it. Hopefully it may lead to other prestigous work like this.
Dave
Jerry Berg

Post by Jerry Berg »

Very nice Dave! Thanks for posting and am looking forward to seeing the other sign work.
oatis

Post by oatis »

Dave: I looked on the V&A website for mention of the exhibition...do you know if thay have put up the notice yet?

Thanks,

Mark
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

Here is the link Mark.
It is a section called the Power of Making. http://www.vam.ac.uk/content/exhibition ... of-making/
This exhibitions runs for 4 months and then I was told it will be split and runs seperatly for a further 8 months. different parts of the Museum.
I have a ticket for the opening evening event for the 6th August. This link shows the same style used on the front of the book http://www.vam.ac.uk/content/exhibition ... king/shop/ this is the font sent to us to create the individual signs in our own way and style and medium we work in.
Hopefully will be good. Last time I was at the V and A was in 2006 with Noel W, Dave Mcdonald ,John Studden. Tom Seibert. never had enough time to look around, you need a week in this place much like the New York Museums.

Dave
MILES M CULLINANE

Post by MILES M CULLINANE »

david

to blow us completely away you should have included this shot from your website.

How do you do it????
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

Thanks Miles. You can also do this. I remember showing you years ago. I need a neck shave in this photo.
Dave